PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rwall messaging

upnort
3rd January 2015, 11:52 PM
I am aware of work toward replacing rwall for system messaging:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemWideDesktopNotification

In the mean time, what work-arounds exist?

For many years I have used rwall to inform me of certain system events on other systems in my LAN. For years I used KDE and then Trinity, which provides a simple interface daemon to intercept rwall messages.

I don;t how other desktops provide equivalent interception.

While rwall still functions on my non Fedora systems, Fedora (21) does not display messages from those remote systems.

Messages are not even displayed when I am using a terminal. A simple ' echo Test | rwall localhost' test in Fedora 21 fails to produce a message in the terminal. Edit: (mesg n is set)

rpc.rwalld is launched during booting and verified running with ps.

Ideally I want a basic popup notification in the desktop. Primarily I use MATE when using Fedora, but occasionally I use other desktops.

I appreciate any thoughts and help. :)

upnort
9th June 2015, 04:02 PM
I am returning to this topic after several months.

I really could use some kind of GUI popup when a remote system sends a message.

I do not need to use rwall to send messages from a remote system. My goal is I just want to send an occasional message from a remote system and have a popup notification on the system I am using. I am open to how I send the message from a remote system.

For years I used rwall but that seems broken on Fedora 21.

Attempting to send a message through rwall to F21 results in one of two messages on the sending system:

RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

RPC: Program not registered

rwall is available and installed for Fedora. I see the second message on the sending system with or without firewalld running on the receiving F21 system.

I can send messages through rwall from F21 to another system. I cannot receive messages on F21.

Even if I got rwall running on F21 to receive rwall messages, rwall is a terminal/console messaging system. I got spoiled from many years of using KDE3 and Trinity, which has a daemon to intercept rwall messages and displays rwall messages in a simple window. Not pretty but functional. I use MATE in Fedora and not KDE or Trinity. Thus no GUI popups, even if I could get rwall to work, which I have not been able to do.

I appreciate any ideas and help. :)

DBelton
9th June 2015, 04:39 PM
You can use the libnotify daemon over ssh, but you would have to have ssh running and configured on your machines.

ssh -X user@host 'DISPLAY=:0 notify-send "TEST MESSAGE."'

That should work for all of your desktop environments since it uses the system daemon that they all are supposed to be supporting.

upnort
9th June 2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks. I should have mentioned that I have run across the ssh idea. Possibly doable.

I need this right now only in my local network. Everything in my LAN is on the same subnet and behind a router. I have ssh configured on all systems as well as key pairs.

A challenge I see is not knowing the user account or OS I might be using. Generally my primary concern is having my main office system send messages to me at my laptop, but I have other systems and VMs too. My laptop has 5 OSs installed although F21 is my primary system. So knowing where to send the message via ssh is a challenge.

I could write a script wrapper to ping all known laptop OSs but even then under which account am I logged in? Although typically I use the same primary account under each OS, I use several login accounts for different purposes and might not be logged in with a primary account when a message arrives.

I am using email right now, but I do not check email every moment. A popup notification is immediate and I really miss that functionality.