PDA

View Full Version : Lightening up Gnome Shell

dragonbite
17th December 2014, 03:14 PM
I have been very lucky. I have managed to not have had to purchase a computer (other than my wife's) since 2000! I get hand-me-downs and corporate toss-aways when they are obsolete and/or replaced. I have only recently gotten computer with more than one core (laptop, that is). :dance:

When a system struggles too much, I switch to a lighter desktop (Xfce or LXDE), but a number of these systems are able to handle the modern environments. They could just be a little more "snappy" to make the interactions slightly more enjoyable.

Question: What tweaks, settings and/or configurations have you found that can help make Gnome Shell "feel" lighter, and be more responsive?

Some tweaks that have little or no perceived improvement on a modern system (e.g. running 8 cores, more than 12GB of RAM and an SSD) can make a profound difference on weaker systems.

I am interested in lightening up Gnome shell. I could fall back to Xfce or LXDE or even KDE if the tables have been turned and KDE/Qt are now lighter than Gnome/GTK!

MadmanRB
17th December 2014, 07:48 PM
Eh for such an old machine you may want to invest in XFCE or Mate

lsatenstein
17th December 2014, 07:59 PM
To lighten up Gnome, you have to remove active parts of Gnome, or some apps that will call other parts. Gnome is not "heavy" if the parts are not in memory, ie, loaded from disk when required.

Rather than lightening up Gnome, you may want to a) download the gnome-tweak-tool, visit the provided default tweaks, and visit the extension website for additional tweaks.

dd_wizard
17th December 2014, 08:08 PM
And turn off tracker!

dd_wizard

dragonbite
17th December 2014, 09:08 PM
Eh for such an old machine you may want to invest in XFCE or Mate

They are 2-core machines (laptop and desktops) and they run the desktop environments alright, but can always benefit from tweaking.

I've read before, and just have to find my notes, on a way to store log files in RAM rather than the read/write to the hard drive. In this way it speeds up the IO. With most of them running 4GB of Ram or more, there is some to spare.

BBQdave
17th December 2014, 10:35 PM
Question: What tweaks, settings and/or configurations have you found that can help make Gnome Shell "feel" lighter, and be more responsive?

Dragonbite I hear you, I am always on a quest for inexpensive hardware (business's clearing out old hardware) and the best investment I can offer is SSD :)

I picked up a used Lenovo Thinkpad T400 (2GB of RAM, duo core 2) for $20. Added a 60GB SSD for $50 and picked up an USB enclosure for $10, both from Newegg. Put the old Thinkpad HD in the USB enclosure. Installed Ubuntu Unity 14.04 LTS + Google Chrome.

Spent $80 all together on hardware and I have a fast responsive system. For me, this set up (with USB enclosure storage) is a great daily driver. A SSD goes a long way with old hardware and modern OS's.

dragonbite
18th December 2014, 03:17 PM
With laptops, I also look to see if they have extended batteries available (Thinkpads do, I know). That way even if it isn't the most powerful laptop, the extended use adds to its portability and thus makes it more valuable (e.g. my netbook is slow but lasts 3+ hours while my laptop is more powerful but only lasts about 1!)