PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and chrome

w2ibc
12th December 2014, 06:41 PM
fedup'ed 20 to 21 all went well. (course LXDE baby)

Well had this firefox issue on 19 and 20 and still in 21. Install Firefox try to launch, system locks up then screen scrambles. Some months ago I re-installed 20 and didn't bother with FF. So some issue is still in 21 as was with 20 and 19. And it is also in Mint,Ubuntu and any other distro running a current FF in the last couple years I think FF has put some code in some version around 27'ish that just will not work with my machine but figured id try it with a updated 21

But now chrome is getting into the lockup action. chrome worked just fine in 20 however since update (and yes I did the remove/re-install that is said to do in the fedup page) on a reboot chrome will launch like normal. however if I close chrome then go to relaunch it again chrome will launch but as it does screen locks and just after the lock the screen just scrambles and I have to hold the power button to kill the box. then turn it back on again.

however unlike the FF issue I can work around chrome doing its bad thing by running

sudo sh -c "sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"

After I run that chrome will launch like normal. but each time I close chrome I have to run that command to relaunch chrome without a lock up -> screen scramble.

As to why it does this I have no idea. I never can get anything in a log to point me in any direction. as soon as the lock happens its game over.

WaltS48
13th December 2014, 03:33 PM
Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox?

Preferences > Advanced > General tab, remove the check mark for "Use hardware acceleration when available".