PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 21 defaults to 100% volume on boot

Lexicon101
11th December 2014, 06:11 PM
I've been running fedora 21 since alpha 2 and it's splendid, except for one thing: every time I boot up, my volume is maxed.
I could search around and find a way to write a script to set the volume to some arbitrary number when I boot, I expect.. but I thought pulseaudio was supposed to remember my volume when I boot down, and this behavior would be much preferred.

Is this a bug, or does pulse just not do that? If it's just not a feature of pulse, is there another way to accomplish it?

antikythera
11th December 2014, 06:41 PM
It should remember the sound level. Also if you press mute and shut down it should startup muted. It has always worked fine for me.

What sound device are you using? onboard realtek audio? soundblaster PCI/PCI-E? etc.

Also what desktop environment?

Lexicon101
11th December 2014, 06:47 PM
Asus Xonar DG

Gnome 3

Yeah, I was thinking it had always done that, but since I recently cleaned up my boot structure to a single installation of Fedora and a single installation of Windows, I had no way to check if a different install behaved the same.

I checked my default.pa file because I'd found a suggestion about that from googling. Looks properly setup.
Not sure what else would be the issue.

lsatenstein
11th December 2014, 06:52 PM
Actually, the slider for interface sounds is on the left side at zero limit, but the sound is at the max. I open up the sound icon, move the slider about 10% to the right, and thats about the level I want to hear as feedback. Its been that way since Fedora 17. No use complaining, as most feedback for small things falls on deaf ears.

Lexicon101
11th December 2014, 07:03 PM
...... what?
I haven't complained. I have no idea what you're talking about. Wrong thread, maybe?

dd_wizard
11th December 2014, 08:58 PM
Do you see any lines in default.pa that look like:

set-sink-volume alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo 65536

I had to comment that line out of my file as it maxed the volume at start up.

dd_wizard

Lexicon101
11th December 2014, 09:05 PM
Nope, the only mention of "volume" anywhere is the commented line about automatically restoring the volume of streams and devices.

hadrons123
12th December 2014, 04:24 AM
for me what it woks was to edit /etc/pulse/default.pa and comment this line "load-module module-device-restore", then reboot and everything was OK

djl47
12th December 2014, 06:29 AM
Interesting. I just rebooted my Fedora 21 system and it came up with the volume muted.

Lexicon101
12th December 2014, 09:21 PM
Didn't fix it. Checked my home directory in case I might have a ~/.pulse/ directory.. nope. Nothing resembling a per-user default.pa file.

Lexicon101
19th December 2014, 08:50 PM
Apparently, it remembers mute, but not volume. Weird.