PDA

View Full Version : digikam configuration/bug issues

gossamer
7th December 2014, 08:58 PM
Hi, I'm using digicam-4.5.0 on fedora20 and having a few problems. When double-clicking an image file, DSC4090.NEF, for example, it doesn't open the file, but instead opens and displays the last directory I visited the last time the application was open.

Is this normal? I seem to remember it not operating in this way, but actually opening the file that was clicked on. At the least, it should open in the working directory of the file I've clicked on.

Also, none of the tooltips work. For example, when I hover over an image in Thumbnail mode, I see the tooltip, but it only says "File Properties", "digikam Properties" and "Photograph Properties" with nothing else in the little pop-up.

ozjd
7th December 2014, 10:38 PM
What do you mean by open the file? Display it in digikam or open in some other application? Does it only happen to nef files or to other formats too?

For me if I click on the thumbnail it displays the image.

gossamer
8th December 2014, 12:16 AM
What I meant is that when I double-click on the file from the file manager, it opens digikam, but in the window I was last working in, not the current file or folder associated with the image I double-clicked on. It looks like only NEF files and not JPG files.

When I double-click on a JPG, it opens only the JPG, but no longer displays the whole folder in the left column.

Hopefully that makes sense.

ozjd
8th December 2014, 12:29 AM
That explains it, I was thinking you were in Digikam.

Only thing I can think of is to look in Settings and File Associations and compare the settings for jpg and nef. It may also be the settings in digikam for handling raw files.

gossamer
8th December 2014, 03:08 AM
That explains it, I was thinking you were in Digikam.

Only thing I can think of is to look in Settings and File Associations and compare the settings for jpg and nef. It may also be the settings in digikam for handling raw files.

I'm really disappointed with this application. I'm pretty sure it used to be better, perhaps with an earlier version of fedora20 or even fedora19, but now it's just annoying.

I've looked through the menu settings, and really have no idea where the options that control this would be, if it's even an option.

So to summarize, these are the problems I'm having:

- Tooltips display the headings, but not the actual content of the tooltip, if the content even exists.
- Double-clicking on NEF files from the gnome file manager doesn't actually open digikam with the file you've clicked on, but the "Albums" pane down the left column and the last folder visited highlighed and the thumbnails of that last-visited folder displayed in the right pane.
- Double-clicking on JPG files from the gnome file manager opens digikam with the JPG file displayed in the right pane, but only the single JPG file thumbnail in the left pane instead of the whole directory as thumbnails, as it used to be.

Thanks,
Alex

ozjd
8th December 2014, 05:45 AM
I don't use a Nikon so don't have any nef files, they are Nikon right? Do tooltips appear for jpgs etc.?
For me they work with cr2 (Canon) and raf (Fuji).
In digikam settings - configure digikam - tooltips you can set what appears in the tooltip.

When I mentioned File Associations in Settings I was referring to KDE System settings thinking you were using KDE as Digikam is a KDE app. Not sure how you set them in Gnome, should be something like Mime or File Associations.

I agree digikam isn't perfect but there simply isn't anything else as powerful. I never liked the 3 versions but 4 seems to have improved a bit. Still think the late version 2 releases were the best :).