PDA

View Full Version : making sr0 RW

billcu
2nd December 2014, 11:39 PM
How do you make sr0 RW instead of RO ? When I put a CD/DVD in the drive and mount it with the path /dev/sr0 which is my DVD it always mounts RO. I can't write to anything.

Bill

antikythera
5th December 2014, 12:08 PM
use the command:

umount /dev/sr0

I've found myself that auto-mounting of media by desktop environments blocks write access rights to burning programs. Issuing that command allows them to regain full control and burn to the drive.

nsnbm
6th December 2014, 04:09 AM
billcu wrote:

When I put a CD/DVD in the drive and mount it with the path /dev/sr0 which is my DVD it always mounts RO.

As I understand it, that means, when you mount it, it's mounted ro. That is usually what the user wants when they mount a dvd or cd they want to read or play from. If the user wants to write to the media, then usually he/she uses a program such cdrecord, wodim or growisofs as root ( which provides access to the hardware) which will write to the medium. Your query may however be asking something else.

billcu
6th December 2014, 04:33 AM
billcu wrote:

As I understand it, that means, when you mount it, it's mounted ro. That is usually what the user wants when they mount a dvd or cd they want to read or play from. If the user wants to write to the media, then usually he/she uses a program such cdrecord, wodim or growisofs as root ( which provides access to the hardware) which will write to the medium. Your query may however be asking something else.

I think I remember RH 9 and you could mount it RW. Maybe things have changed or I don't correctly remember.

Bill

stevea
6th December 2014, 06:28 AM
The kernel only supports read-only isofs mounts.
Similar for the fuseiso application.

I have serious doubts that a writable iso9660 is possible - it just wasn't designed to support it. You *might* be able to append, but deletions are ... problematic.

Doing this on top of a non-block I/O medium is pretty hard.

--

DVD-RAMs are block writable and support the udf file system.