PDA

View Full Version : Updating Fedora Offline

cmanL
22nd October 2014, 06:38 PM
I have an old laptop without network access ( it has some sort of reoccurring network issues and I don't want to put anymore money into it ). Is there a way to get Fedora updates to this computer from another computer ( maybe using a flash drive )? Not sure if I can download the updates somewhere and move them to the laptop. Thanks for any information..

cmanL
23rd October 2014, 06:49 PM
I have another laptop that uses MS Windows that uses the same type of harddrive , so I can update by changing hardrives between the two computers.

glennzo
23rd October 2014, 11:54 PM
I've been trying to think about how you could go about doing this. Doesn't seem to easy, at least on the surface.

You have a computer running Fedora but no network access.
You have a computer running Windows with network access.

There is no guarantee that if you put the Linux hard disk into the Windows laptop that the system will boot. If it does, will all hardware be recognized? Will the network adapter work? If it all works and you are able to update the Fedora system what happens when you return the hard disk to the Linux laptop?

You can't get updates for Fedora using the Windows computer running Windows. How will you know what / where to download?

I say find a new network adapter for the Linux laptop. If it is an old laptop the adapter will likely be cheaply priced. Easiest, least complicated way out.

thick0
24th October 2014, 02:57 AM
AAMOI what are the networking issues? I am guessing a wifi adapter would not work?

What version of Fedora are you running? Can you wipe the existing disk and re-install?

nsnbm
24th October 2014, 11:21 AM
It is possible to get updates for non-networked fedora computer using an M$ computer by browsing at a repository of fedora updates, seeing what's there, choosing what you want to update, downloading the rpms and copying them to a usb which you can then insert in the fedora computer to install them. However, it's an extremely laborious and time-consuming task because the rpms often have dependencies which will also have to be downloaded. You can find out the dependencies when you try to install the rpms on the fedora computer because it will tell you what they are when it fails to install. I've been through this situation which has been referred to as "dependency hell" and made a fist of it in the early days, but with the current large installations, the possibility of keeping everything up to date seems exceedingly remote. Nevertheless, it is possible to keep some applications updated. Another thing to consider is that if the non-networked computer is working well with the functions that it provides for the user, there may not be a need to update. Updating can however, be necessary if an application has bugs that make it a problem.

bbfuller
24th October 2014, 12:29 PM
It "is" possible to download the whole repository for the version of Fedora you are using, put it on a memory stick with the repository information (or create it using createrepo) and update from that after adjusting the yum files on the Fedora machine.

However, you're looking at several 10's of gigabytes of data to download and a large memory stick.

If the Fedora machine really is never going on the internet, it might be easier to try updating individual packages but that leaves you open to having to determine the dependencies for those packages.

If it were a hardware problem on the Fedora machine it would almost certainly be cheaper/easier to get a USB network card. Either wireless or wired.

If it's a software problem maybe it's not worth updating in any case.

As was said above, if it is never going to go on the internet maybe updating is not necessary.

cmanL
24th October 2014, 02:44 PM
I've actually had pretty good luck swapping harddrives around with Fedora. I popped the drive from my Lattitude D630 into my Lattitude E6400 and downloaded all the updates , no problem. I was using "yumdownloader" to move software in "rpm" form , from my Fedora desktop to the laptop but this is tedious.

antikythera
24th October 2014, 03:01 PM
Which network adaptor is proving problematic? The Dell wireless? If so and you can't run a Cat5 ethernet wire to the router there are alternative mini-card adaptors that will work with Fedora and all other Linux flavours much better in your laptop. e.g. intel 3945AG/3945ABG or 4965AGN. check on ebay for these. they aren't that expensive, some are the same price as a pre-assembled length of Cat5 cable.

there should be a removable panel underneath your laptop to take out the dell wireless adaptor and slot one of these in instead.

edit: slightly more involved procedure but it is possible (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+Latitude+D630+Wireless+Card+Replacement/13235)

cmanL
24th October 2014, 03:20 PM
The D630 is the one giving me problems. I first bought the unit off ebay and the network card did not work when I received the laptop. I sent the unit back to the company that I bought if from and they fixed the problem. After about a year the network card stopped working again , so I just bought a usb/ethenet adapter off ebay so I could plug my DSL router into the laptop that way. My adapter stopped working the other day , so I figured I might just use the laptop for programming ( what I mostly use it for anyway ). I might try to fix it again ( get a new network card off ebay ) but , as I remember , changing the network card in a D630 requires taking the whole thing apart - something I'm not looking forward to ( I remember changing the processor in this computer wasn't much fun ).

beaker_
24th October 2014, 04:55 PM
Unless your committed to copying whole repos then just by a new usb-ethernet adapter. Assuming that lappy's usb ports are ok ie.,

A quick google search suggest your lappy could be using a broadcom or intel ethernet controller so it wouldn't hurt to paste the output of lspci |grep Networking or is it lspci |grep networking? You might get lucky, might just need a kmod to get your nic running. Unless you are certain that nic is dead ie.,

cmanL
24th October 2014, 06:26 PM
Yeah , I might just get another adapter ( I hate the usb/ethernet adapters because they alway disconnect when the laptop is moved ). Here's the the output from "lspci" :

[couchman@localhost ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86M [Quadro NVS 135M] (rev a1)
03:01.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. Cardbus bridge (rev 21)
03:01.4 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

This laptop used to have Windows XP installed and the diagnostic software claimed that the network card was "shorted" or something like that, so I assume the card is no good.

beaker_
24th October 2014, 07:04 PM
Probably best to believe XP's diagnosis then. I was hopping to be lucky but I believe that intel should fly out of the box (iwl something or another). lsmod | grep iwl will confirm the driver is loaded. But, after that, unless someone corrects me, spending $30 is less headache. But it sucks just the same.