PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst 14.10 Driver Patched For Fedora 20

CrypticByte
25th August 2014, 09:41 PM
I followed the guides online and have patched the Catalyst 14.10 driver to work with Fedora 20 using kernels 3.14 and 3.15. It should work for other kernels but these are the only two I use and have tested. You can find the patched driver at https://copy.com/zvLwCLfMMtNO
Included is a readme that tells you the three dependencies you must have which can be installed in terminal by executing "sudo yum install gcc kernel-headers kernel-devel"

I figure it would be easier to post a copy of the patched driver that someone can download and easily install vs a long guide on how to patch a driver that could be confusing to a new linux user.

lovenemesis
27th August 2014, 07:52 AM
One question:

where do you get the Catalyst 14.10 driver?

It's just August and the last one released by AMD is 14.6 Beta.

kkshethin
27th August 2014, 11:49 AM
I have installed catalyst on the basis of leigh's work.

mkdir catalyst; cd catalyst
yumdownloader --releasever 19 xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i686 akmod-catalyst.$(uname -m) xorg-x11-drv-catalyst.$(uname -m) xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.$(uname -m)
su
yum --nogpgcheck install *.rpm

Sucessfull.

ran command sudo aticonfig --initial.

result of

lspci -v

Thank leigh once again. Thank you very much.

So

My question is
1. How to install 14.10. Is it a RPM
2. How to revert back, if it does not work.
3. It was reported that catalyst does not work with gnome due to wayland and some of the packages which are modified, are to be installed. Does your patched catalyst works ok with gnome

slayerking
28th August 2014, 03:39 AM
Looks like fedora is over for me and it's a pity because I have used it since 6,Nothing I try gets a working system after installing the ati drivers. Using this method and the one above and every other method found does not work and always ends up like this even on fresh installs with updated kernel
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34911448/20140828_122546.jpg

CrypticByte
28th August 2014, 06:29 AM
AMD Catalyst™ 14.4 Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver Release Notes

This release note provides information on the latest posting of AMD's Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver. This particular driver updates the Software version to 14.10.1006

So I was referencing the 14.10.1006 software version but it is indeed the Catalyst 14.4 driver.

Slayerking: did you apply the driver before or after the kernel update. This driver like all Catalyst drivers will need to be reinstalled after each kernel update.

As far as the comment on uninstalling the driver and steps on how to update your kernel follow this...
1) Uninstall the Catalyst driver (aticonfig –uninstall)
2) Update the kernel and reboot.
3) Reinstall the patched Catalyst driver (ati-installer.sh 14.10 –install)

CrypticByte
28th August 2014, 06:45 AM
kkshethin: I can not state if it works with GNOME or not. From my understanding I would assume it is incompatible with GNOME on the bases of what you said. This driver, well Catalyst in general, would be better suited on a GTK2(XFCE, MATE) installation or KDE. I personally use KDE and the driver works wonderfully.

Like I stated I simply just patched AMD's main 64bit Linux driver. If someone else is interested in taking it and converting it into a RPM that would be nice but I personally don't possess the skill set to do that.

slayerking
28th August 2014, 07:14 AM
Slayerking: did you apply the driver before or after the kernel update. This driver like all Catalyst drivers will need to be reinstalled after each kernel update.

As far as the comment on uninstalling the driver and steps on how to update your kernel follow this...
1) Uninstall the Catalyst driver (aticonfig –uninstall)
2) Update the kernel and reboot.
3) Reinstall the patched Catalyst driver (ati-installer.sh 14.10 –install)
After of course. Like I said been using fedora a long time and it's always been a pain in the arse to install ati drivers on it.