PDA

View Full Version : How to install

indi
20th December 2004, 03:54 PM
i have downloaded 4 ISO images from Fedora FC3-i386-SRPMS-disk1, 2 3, & 4 on a comp.
now i want to install this OS on a [old ] comp with 133 MHZ Pentium family.
how to go about it. The 4 Gb Hd has Win 95 but i can formate that HD. i want to use this comp as a desktop.
plz help, i am new to the comps...
Thanks
indi

Pegasus
20th December 2004, 04:19 PM
For installation, you need the installation cd's, NOT the SRPMS cd's

The following CPU specifications are stated in terms of Intel processors. Other processors (notably, offerings from AMD, Cyrix, and VIA) that are compatible with and equivalent to the following Intel processors may also be used with Fedora Core.

* Minimum: Pentium-class
Fedora Core 3 is optimized for Pentium 4 CPUs, but also supports earlier CPUs (such as Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III, and including AMD and VIA variants). This approach has been taken because Pentium-class optimizations actually result in reduced performance for non-Pentium-class processors, and Pentium 4 scheduling is sufficiently different (while making up the bulk of today's processors) to warrant this change.

* Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
* Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better

For more information, also have a look @ http://www.fedorafaq.org

indi
20th December 2004, 06:16 PM
For installation, you need the installation cd's, NOT the SRPMS cd's

For more information, also have a look @ http://www.fedorafaq.org

where can i download " installion Cds"? stupid me, Whole day i have been downlaoding those SRPMS-4 disk..
how i will be able to install fedora/Lynux on my old comp?...
is there any way, i could upgrade to higher MHZ?
Thanks for above info...

h4d
20th December 2004, 06:17 PM
is there any way, i could upgrade to higher MHZ?

hmmm...get a new/faster CPU? I really don't get the question!

indi
20th December 2004, 06:19 PM
There seem to be so many file on net, i dont know where to start...plz sugest a good link to downlaod Fedora/Lynux for desktop use...
Thanks

indi
20th December 2004, 06:24 PM
how can i make the comp faster? do i have to buy just a CPU or more hardware to upgrade it to be able to install Fedora/Lynux for desktop home use.

h4d
20th December 2004, 06:24 PM
Go to:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
and click on a mirror that is close to you.
Then get into the directory 3/i386/iso/ and download FC3-i386-disc1.iso FC3-i386-disc2.iso FC3-i386-disc3.iso FC3-i386-disc4.iso FC3-i386-rescuecd.iso (optional but recommended!)
Then check for md5sums, pop the CD1, reboot, do a media test on ALL CDs, and carry on with install. Have fun!

indi
20th December 2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the link and now i am downloading the suggested files/folders.
can i install Fedora on My said comp?

engwnbie
20th December 2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the link and now i am downloading the suggested files/folders.
can i install Fedora on My said comp?
No you will not be able to run the graphical interface. You will be able to run text mode. But what is your experience on Linux? Donít recommend it if you are new linux you may want to check out some of the older distribution like Red Hat, Debian etc.

indi
20th December 2004, 07:12 PM
i am new to Lynux/Fedora and also not a comp guru!!
How can i do a media test on all CDs, as suggest above?
i used to rum Win Me on that comp...

indi
20th December 2004, 07:13 PM
where is Debian, i can find?
any link?
i am download the above said ISO files right now for my other comp. is that OK... should i continue downloading?

h4d
20th December 2004, 08:24 PM
Linux comes in different flavors, which are called distributions. You are in a forum for the Fedora distribution. Debian is another distribution. Stick with Fedora for now; as you gain more experience you can test with other ones (like SuSE, Mandrake, Slackware, etc, etc, etc). So yes, keep downloading, and do not make the mistake of burning the .iso file to the CD. You should look for an option like "burn image" in your CD burning software.
When you start the computer with the CD1, you will be prompted to do the media checks...

kosmosik
20th December 2004, 08:32 PM
Fedora is too bloated for such machine... try RHL 7.3 instead. it is very good release (one of best RHLs) and it is still supported by Fedora Legacy project - security updates, but with little common sense you won't be needing much updates for desktop machine (just configure it safely, disable all listening to outside services and firewall it - will be safe), you will also find tons of software for RHL 7.3 (check out Freshrpms and Dags repos)... not so bleeding edge but it will do it's job...

indi
21st December 2004, 03:16 PM
Thanks H4D, i am sticking to Fedora now.
I have downloaded all the files in directory 3/i386/iso...this directory also has SRPM disk 1,2,3,4 iso...MD5SUM and 386 rescued file
now i have to 'burn the image' of these files on 5 or 6 CDs.
with those Cds I will install Fedora on my other comp...
now the probelm on the other comp is the BIOS is set for auo configure but the HD C or Cd D is not getting recognised later. i can get acees to a floppy drive Athough...all cables are intact...any tip plz

tkmaster
21st December 2004, 04:04 PM
it will only boot via cdrom if your bios supports it... which unfortunatly old computers dont really support...

what you will need to do is make a bootable floppy...

but just incase go into your bios, chect the boot order of the computer, if it is possible to boot off the cdrom it will be somewhere in the boot order... all you will have to do is move the cdrom ahead of the hard drive

indi
21st December 2004, 04:20 PM
i get into BIOS and set the CD boot options but after BIOS session, a black screen comes on and white lettering asks for ' insert appropriate media'.

my HD and CD are not getting recognised?

indi
21st December 2004, 08:54 PM
what should i do get BIOS organised and Hd/ CD to be recognised, any tips[ it used to work fine earlier with Win ME]

burningaura
22nd December 2004, 03:42 PM
hm.. I'm thinking that you need to get better hardware before trying a distribution like Fedora. Perhaps you shoul d upgrade your RAM to at least 256, get a better CPU, and upgrade your Hard Drive size to at least 20 GB. That would make your life so much easier. With your current specifications, you would only be able to run Fedora in text mode, meaning if you don't know 'Linux" code, you're lost. (The GUI, Graphical User Interface, is called Gnome and to run properly, I think it requires a more powerful computer.)

indi
22nd December 2004, 08:03 PM
i have downlaoded the above said iso 4 files and rescue file plus SUM file in a folder.
normally i just right click on the files to be recorded on a CD and click on 'send to drive E" and windows does the rest. will that be Ok for these downloaded iso files.
I have Nero CD burning software but i dont know how to use that, plz suggest/help further.

indi
23rd December 2004, 12:36 AM
"So yes, keep downloading, and do not make the mistake of burning the .iso file to the CD. You should look for an option like "burn image" in your CD burning software"

plz expalin the above in simple, how it could be done on NERO? please...

h4d
23rd December 2004, 04:03 AM
I haven't used Nero (or windows) in a long time, but I think there was an option under File - Burn Image

indi
23rd December 2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the advises and tips.
now i am ready to install the Fedora on my old comp...hope its going to work.
thanks again

indi
30th December 2004, 09:10 PM
ok i have burnt the ISO 1 to 4 imgaes on different CDs. Now tell me how to go about Fedora instaltion.
Thanks