View Full Version : Updating Fedora kernel problem

17th July 2014, 04:33 PM
I am new to Fedora and have just installed Fedora 12 from CD.

I want to update to Fedora 20, mainly because in Fedora 12 I canít figure out how to enable my WIFI.

I have created a bootable USB drive using Fedora Live USB creator.

On boot with the USB I get 2 error messages.
error: file Ď.isolinux/vml inuz0Ď
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue......

Any ideas what I need to do?

Background info.
My PC is only about 18 months old and came pre-installed with Windows 8
It stopped working and I identified the prob was with the HD.
So I threw in an old HD from an old DELL I had lying around.
I tried installing a Win XP CD I had but that failed so I gave Fedora12 a go and it worked.
First time using Fedora so Iím not all that handy with it.

17th July 2014, 04:49 PM
I don't know what the text above appeared so garbled. apologies.

I am trying to update to Fedora 20 using a bootable USB I created using Fedora LiveUSB Creator.

On boot I get the following error.
error: file '/isol inux/vml inuz0' not found
error: you need to load the kernel first

Press any key to continue....

Any ideas what I need to do?

Background info:
I am new to Fedora.
I have an 18 month old pre-installed Windows 8 pc which packed in.
I identifed that the prob was the HD, so I swapped in an old HD i had from a Dell machine I had lying around.
I then tried to install XP but had some difficulties so tried a Fedora 12 CD I had lying around.
Fedora 12 works fine, but I can't seem to enable my WIFI so I thought I'd update to Fedora 20.
Now I have my bootable USB, but its not working.

17th July 2014, 05:15 PM
To be brutally honest, you would be better clean installing Fedora 20 instead of trying to upgrade from Fedora 12.

It seems like the USB drive you created to boot did not compile properly. If you are able to do so try burning the F20 ISO to DVD and install from that or re-attempt the creation of the USB drive.

Also did you checksum the downloaded ISO to make sure it was in-tact before creating the USB drive to boot from?

17th July 2014, 05:24 PM
Looking at your first posting I see no garbled text in the post.

From personal experience and from reading of others experiences, some of the programs to create Live bootable USB's from an .iso file often seem to fail or have problems. The most dependable way appears to be by using the dd command. Also, you need to first confirm that the F20 Live iso image you downloaded is not corrupted itself by using the sha256sum verification method. Check here (https://fedoraproject.org/en/verify) if you have not already done this. Once you're assured your F20 iso file is OK, try using dd to create the bootable USB stick from the F20 iso file.

At least in later Fedora versions, the dd command is part of the coreutils package, so it should already be part of your F12 install. If it is not, then you'll need to install whatever package provides the dd command in F12.

It's fairly simple. Assuming your booted into F12 on /dev/sda (hdd) and the USB stick you want to use is plugged in and is /dev/sdb (you don't want the USB stick to be "mounted"). Change to root user, and cd to the directory where the F20 Live iso file is located:

dd if=name_of_iso_file.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
I have never had dd fail to create a bootable Live USB stick from a Live iso that has been verified to be OK.
Your subject title is a bit leading here, as you appear to be wanting to update the OS version itself, not just the kernel.

To use