PDA

View Full Version : How to do Monitor Probing/New Monitor?

backroger
20th December 2004, 03:59 AM
I seldom bring down the computer box at home. At work I use a Viewsonic Monitor and at home, I use a Samsung Monitor.

The problem is when I plug in my box at home...the Gnome Terminal (GUI/startx) does not work anymore, all I see is blank screen. So I resort running at text mode in CTRL+ALT+F2. Then when I bring it back at work, it work ok since Viewsonic was the installed Monitor Properties at that time.

Anyway, how do you guys do a re-probe of a new Monitor or change the Monitor setting other the initial installed in Red Hat in text mode command prompt?

Thank you in advance.

crackers
20th December 2004, 04:34 AM
In order to do this (easily), you'll have to forgo running in level 5, but I don't think that'll hurt ... much. Since you mentioned "startx," I'll assume you're already doing that. If you're using the graphical login, then, as root, you need to shut down X first (init 3).

Login on the console as root and execute X -configure. This will generate a new xorg.conf file in the current directory. Follow the instructions to check/tweak. Then copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.home (as an example).

You can then select ALT+F1 to get to the first console and log in as your regular user, if not already logged in. You can then start X with startx -- -config xorg.conf.home and it should fire up just dandy.

For reference, try man xorg.conf - there's several other things you can play with to get things running the way you'd like.

backroger
20th December 2004, 04:58 AM
In order to do this (easily), you'll have to forgo running in level 5, but I don't think that'll hurt ... much. Since you mentioned "startx," I'll assume you're already doing that. If you're using the graphical login, then, as root, you need to shut down X first (init 3).

Login on the console as root and execute X -configure. This will generate a new xorg.conf file in the current directory. Follow the instructions to check/tweak. Then copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.home (as an example).

You can then select ALT+F1 to get to the first console and log in as your regular user, if not already logged in. You can then start X with startx -- -config xorg.conf.home and it should fire up just dandy.

For reference, try man xorg.conf - there's several other things you can play with to get things running the way you'd like.
kewl..thanks...I will try that...