PDA

View Full Version : Battery died, Fedora won't boot

yesennes
31st May 2014, 05:03 AM
I have a Toshiba Laptop, dual-booted with Fedora 20 and Windows 8.1. I was using windows when I received a low battery alert, a then found that the charging port was broken. The battery died, I got the port fixed no problem. However, now when I boot, I no longer get my grub menu, it just boots strait to windows.

I think when it recovered from the battery dying, xenophobic windows decided to set the computer to boot to its boot manager.

Before, Grub2 wouldn't boot windows unless secure boot, an option in the bios menu, was disabled. Now it boots with it enabled, so I think my computer no longer boots thought grub.

I would be happy either to get Fedora working again, or to simply be able to get some files I left in documents and desktop on Fedora, delete the partition, and re-install Fedora. I downloaded DiskInternals Linux Reader, which allows me to see the files on all partitions except the Linux Swap partition; however, I can't find my files in any of those.

Any help is appreciated.

weitjong
31st May 2014, 05:55 AM
With all due respect, your story sounds unbelievable.

Have you done some *write* actions to your filesystem that you did not elaborate in your post? Otherwise, your files should still be there undamaged.

Did you fix your broken charging port by yourself? May be your repair serviceman did an *extra* service for you.

If it is none of the above then you can try to see whether you can get grub2 back by changing the UEFI boot order. You can do that in Windows using BCD Edit or in Fedora using efibootmgr. You may want to first double check that your EFI System Partition (ESP) is still in tact containing grubx.efi. if you cannot find it then you have to boot using Fedora installation media in recovery mode and reinstall grub2 from there.

yesennes
31st May 2014, 04:21 PM
I am very surprised that happened too. I did give it to a computer repair store, and my initial thought was that the serviceman *fixed* my dual-boot. I called him, and he said that he never saw the grub2 menu either.

Maybe I accidentally did something that did this, although I can't remember changing the file system anytime recently. Perhaps someone else at the computer repair store did something.

Windows resetting the boot menu when recovering is only a wild guess, I never meant to imply that I was sure of that.

Thank you for you help, I will try that.

kurtdriver
31st May 2014, 05:23 PM
Download a live cd of fedora 20 if you don't already have one. Everyone should have one by the way. Boot from that, chroot to the Fedora partition and re-install grub. Here's (http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1700352&postcount=15) some instructions for that. Ought to fix your problem.