PDA

View Full Version : Clamtk Clamav Freshclam Problem

wildPENGUIN
30th April 2014, 04:32 PM
and now another problem with installing a piece of software from the Fedora software library. The other day i was installing clamtk from the software library it installed but there were no signature files, but what good is antivirus without a signature file so i tried running the freshclam command an i got this
"ERROR: Please edit the example config file /etc/freshclam.conf
ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/freshclam.conf"
well I solve it here is what you have to do to make clamtk/clamav work with the freshclam command goto the "/etc/freshclam.conf" file an replace/edit it to read as the freshclam.conf file i have attached to this post.

once you've saved the "/etc/freshclam.conf" file you should be able to run the freshclam command as root or sudo freshclam and tada there you go you now have a signature file for your antivirus an clamtk/clamav should run fine from now on.

I Hope this is a help to people who need it.:dance:

glennzo
30th April 2014, 10:59 PM
There are plenty of web sites that explain how to get the software working as expected. It took me all of 5 minutes to find the right info.

Moved to Guides and Solutions.

wildPENGUIN
4th May 2014, 02:09 PM
There are plenty of web sites that explain how to get the software working as expected. It took me all of 5 minutes to find the right info.

Moved to Guides and Solutions.

I would like to know what search words you used, because when i did a google search for my problem with the Fedora freshclam problem i got thousands & thousands of search results, many many pages, & the first 3 or 4 pages had nothing to do with my exact problem and the Fedoraforum didn't seem to have my exact answer either although it did help to point me in the right direction.:blink: So i figured it out for myself & posted my results for others to use if they need it. I Hope it helps them.

P.S. I believe one should keep there computers clean of all viruses even windows viruses so they don't become a problem to others & there computers down the line and besides keeping your computer clean helps to save space on your disk anyway (IMHO).:p

bob
4th May 2014, 03:36 PM
I have a bit of a problem with your attached file - can't open it. But, what truly irritates me is that ClamAV continues to have you manually put the "#" before "example" to get it to work.

So, after using your favorite editor to edit /etc/freshclam.conf, you'll see this:

# Comment or remove the line below.
Exampleand you need to do this:

#ExampleSo, again, why? If you've installed it before, you know what to do, but if you're a new user of ClamAV, you think you've got a working anti-virus and then it refuses to update??? Kinda strange.

wildPENGUIN
4th May 2014, 04:59 PM
I don't know what problem exactly you are having, i was able to edit the "freshclam.conf" file with gedit & i was able to put a Hashtag (#) in front of the word "Example" i then changed various other variables that I thought were incorrect and then saved the file. Then when i ran the freshclam command after that, WALLAH Clamav & Clamtk were reporting the installation of new signature files. I don't know what your confusion :confused: is?
I'm new to clamav & clamtk but i do have A brain, I can look at a conf file an figure out what needs to be done to it to make it work.:D

P.S. you may also use "nano" in the terminal window to edit it too.

bob
4th May 2014, 08:21 PM
Never mind; it was a comment that your FILE didn't automatically associate with a package unless you brought up gedit or some other editor.. BTW, I've been using it for many years, off and on, and no problem with the package at all. My "issue" is why the devs for ClamAV force you to make that modification to have it update. Just seems foolish when they could have put the comment in themselves or skipped the "Example" altogether.

wildPENGUIN
4th May 2014, 10:18 PM
I have a bit of a problem with your attached file - can't open it. But, what truly irritates me is that ClamAV continues to have you manually put the "#" before "example" to get it to work.

So, after using your favorite editor to edit /etc/freshclam.conf, you'll see this:

Exampleand you need to do this:

#ExampleSo, again, why? If you've installed it before, you know what to do, but if you're a new user of ClamAV, you think you've got a working anti-virus and then it refuses to update??? Kinda strange.

Never mind; it was a comment that your FILE didn't automatically associate with a package unless you brought up gedit or some other editor.. BTW, I've been using it for many years, off and on, and no problem with the package at all. My "issue" is why the devs for ClamAV force you to make that modification to have it update. Just seems foolish when they could have put the comment in themselves or skipped the "Example" altogether.

Sorry Bob i most have misunderstood your comments, I think some of your punctuation may have confused me! Yes i too believe the developers could have done more to make installing these programs easier, for the beginner & like i said before,

I believe one should keep there computers clean of all viruses even windows viruses so they don't become a problem to others & there computers down the line and besides keeping your computer clean helps to save space on your disk anyway (IMHO).:p

Thank you for your input:)

P.S. i think the developers of clamav might have something against Fedora, because none of the other distros, or at least the ones that i have been messing with, don't seems to have this problem.