PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Not seeing wireless driver

Reckful
11th April 2014, 04:00 AM
Hello Every one,
I have a Toshiba satellite C55-a5100 with Fedora kde. Everything seems to be working but I can't get fedora to see the wireless driver, This is the first time that I have installed fedora on toshiba so I need some help in getting the wireless to work.

Does any one have any Idea on how to get it to work. I don't know the driver that is installed but I think it's an Intel.

Just got the laptop a couple of days ago.

kurtdriver
11th April 2014, 06:02 AM
Can you post the output of

lspci |grep Network
This should tell us what chipset you've got.
The verticle thing in front of grep is the "pipe" and probably above enter.

Reckful
11th April 2014, 06:34 AM
02.00.0 Network Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8179 (rev 01)

GarethTheRed
11th April 2014, 10:58 AM
In the first instance, can you connect to the Internet using an Ethernet cable and update your system on the off chance that your Wi-Fi card works with the latest kernel? It might not, but it's worth a try and you should update anyway.

Failing that, there is an answer here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=257101) which isn't perfect as it is for Fedora 14, but the principles are the same.

If you Google for 'realtek 8179 linux' you'll also find a few posts, mainly from Ubuntu users, reference this issue and they generally complain that this device doesn't work out of the box and will need drivers compiling for it.

My personal preference to Realtek devices is to get a small screwdriver, open the cover on the bottom of the laptop that hides the Wi-Fi adapter, remove the screws that retain the Realtek card, remove the antenna wires (usually two), remove the card, replace it with an Intel or Atheros chip based adapter, refit antenna/screws/cover. Smile as Wi-Fi works with the default kernel. These adapters are available on eBay for peanuts, but make sure that you have the right size for your laptop.

I carried out the above on my last two laptops, the first of which was an Toshiba C55 (a slightly different suffix to yours though) and it worked great. In this instance, the card was MiniPCI Express and there are plenty of replacements available on fleaBay.

kurtdriver
11th April 2014, 10:07 PM
It's not a big deal to compile your own.
get the source here (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNijavascript:void%280%29;d=7&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#2)
You'll need to install, as root, kernel-devel, gcc, and kernel headers, then run the usual, config, make, make install.
This (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1404875&postcount=3) details how I used to do it with an earlier realtek chip.

Reckful
12th April 2014, 02:04 AM
Thank you guys for the replies but I don't even have hardwire connection at this time which I am pretty stuck on at the moment.

Here is the error message when I try this:

ifconfig eth0 up

Eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such Device

GarethTheRed
12th April 2014, 09:51 AM
Do you have an USB Wi-Fi adapter (but not one with a Realtek 8179 chip!)? Or does a friend have one that you can borrow for a short while?

flyingfsck
12th April 2014, 10:29 AM
Howdy, for a newcomer, the easiest solution is to get a new WiFi device. Edimax USB adaptors even have little Linux penguins printed on the package. In my experience Toshiba is one of the least Linux friendly manufacturers, possibly only eclipsed by Sony. It is possible to compile or modify an existing driver but that's not for the uninitiated.

Reckful
23rd April 2014, 02:13 AM
I have found out what happened. For some reason I was running fedora 18 at the time and wasn't able to get the new version that was released.

I got so frustrated that I went and got the fedora 20 version from a friend of mine and now the wireless works