PDA

View Full Version : ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)

noelkhan
7th April 2014, 04:12 AM
FYI

RE "ata# softreset failed" messages while booting as reported here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=213230).

I cobbled a system together using 2 IDE drives and a newer MB that only had the SATA interface, so I had to use IDE-to-SATA gender benders. When one drive crashed, I simply pulled the drive and left the cabling/converter inside and those blasted messages appeared.

Removing the unused IDE-to-SATA converter solved the problem. As others stated, the problem isn't the messages per se, but the longer POST and boot times.

HTH
Noel

stevod333
14th April 2014, 07:30 AM
That error rings a bell from just a few months ago when I upgraded my system.

I was using an IDE-SATA converter, to get my data from my old IDE drives. As I recall, I was rebooting the machine a number of times before I could access the IDE drives (freaking out each time, wondering if the drives were ok).

There were some copy errors trying to get the data off my old drives (some of the files are corrupted).

Seems to me these converters don't work very well. Just my opinion and personal experience, but I wouldn't trust the one I have to keep a running stable system.