PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from Fedora 1 to Fedora 3

guestjo
16th December 2004, 05:34 PM
Can I upgrade from Fedora 1 to Fedora 3? If so how do I go about it?

ilja
16th December 2004, 05:46 PM
YOu can update from FC1 to FC3, but in most cases a fresh install is better. Make a backup of your /home/ your /etc/ directory and of the other files that you changed and make a fresh install.

If you want to do an update you can do it with the anaconda installer (official Fedora CDs). But from FC1 ---> FC3 there is a change of kernel version ( 2.4 -->2.6) the addition of SElinux, change of Xserver ( Xfree86 --> xorg), change of the sound system (OSS ---> Alsa) etc. So be ready to have a lot of troubles.

guestjo
16th December 2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks, perhaps I will live with FC1 for the time being then. Unless someone else wants to try to change my mind?

ilja
16th December 2004, 05:54 PM
If you are content with it and get the newest updates from fedora legacy, so your system is up-to-date then:

Never touch a running system

Unless you need some of the features of FC3 or kernel 2.6

comsparks
16th December 2004, 09:10 PM
I updated from Core 1 to Core 3 without a hitch. It asked me in the beginning of the installation of Core 3 if I wanted to update or new install and I said yes to the update to see if it worked and it did.

guestjo
16th December 2004, 09:57 PM
I may just give it a try. but a full backup first I think.....

comsparks
16th December 2004, 10:31 PM
Read this page, it's an ad for selling the Fedora 3 book but has answers on it that you mind helpful.
http://www.sobell.com/RHLINUX2/FC3.html