PDA

View Full Version : yum gui on Fedora 20

netsuvi
26th January 2014, 10:17 AM
Since Fedora 20 i am missing the graphical update tool.
Whats the programm called and what package is needed?

meine
26th January 2014, 11:37 AM
Yum Extender, yumex

kldixon
26th January 2014, 03:33 PM
The official new gui is called 'Software' under 'Show Applications', it has an Updates tab, but it does not work very well yet. You can get the old one with:

# yum install gnome-packagekit gnome-packagekit-installer gnome-packagekit-updater

BBQdave
27th January 2014, 01:50 AM
Since Fedora 20 i am missing the graphical update tool.

The official new gui is called 'Software' under 'Show Applications', it has an Updates tab, but it does not work very well yet.

gSoftware (Applications > Software) is an auto update program. When there are updates available it will let you know, with a choice of Updating Now or Later. If you choose to update when pop up message (Updates available) appears, your system will reboot and install updates.

Just a note, if part of the update is a new Kernel Linux, the update progress pauses at 55% for a little while (installing Kernel Linux) - don't worry, it will finish up after some time and restart your system.

gSoftware has handled all updating on my F20 Gnome 3 install since release - no problems :)

And if you want more control (than auto updating), there's always YUM.

kldixon
27th January 2014, 07:40 AM
As I understand it, gSoftware checks for updates then downloads them ready for updating.
Now, you may be able to control what time of day that download occurs, I have not investigated that but I suspect not.
Many people must be able to control when large downloads are made as their ISP contracts limit the amount of downloads by time of day. I am unmetered between midnight and 8.00am.

sidebrnz
27th January 2014, 08:25 AM
In that case, I'd use yumex because it only runs when you tell it to. Just do your system updates at a time you're unmetered and you'll never need to worry about it.

kldixon
27th January 2014, 11:40 AM
I used yumex many years ago, now I just use yum.
I tried using gpk-update-viewer.but it only reports available updates when there is a security update, although I still try it from time to time.
I find gpk-application is quite useful for searching and browsing for packages.
The OP, however, wanted a graphical update tool.

netsuvi
27th January 2014, 12:35 PM
gnome-packagekit-updater thats the one i was missing. Thanks all!

lsatenstein
27th January 2014, 04:09 PM
Yum Extender, yumex

If you are using 32bit Fedora, yumex can be used without any forethought.

If you are using 64bit software, yumex shows both 32 bit and 64 bit applications, and unless you are careful you may actually run into problems with mixed versions of 32 and 64bit systems, necessitating a manual cleanup ,

kldixon
3rd August 2014, 06:53 PM
This still works for me on F20:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=294653