PDA

View Full Version : Core 3 install problem

MBCMillersV
15th December 2004, 03:55 PM
Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm still kinda newbish to Linux, so bear with me. This has probably been brought up before, but I can't find the solution to this particular problem. Sorry if this is a redundant thread.

I'm currently running FC 2 and want to upgrade to FC 3. I downloaded the ISO installs and burned them, did the media check and all 4 CD's passed, but when I boot my PC with disc 1 to try and install FC 3 it will uncompress everything and promptly hang before it gets to the graphical install screens on a multicolored "pixelated" screen. The machine has the Intel 815 integrated graphics and I think I read somewhere about a bug in FC 3 with that particular chipset, but I can't find it again. Am I right that this is a bug in FC 3 or is it something else? And if I am right, how do I get around it to install FC 3 and is there a fix? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Petrohead
16th December 2004, 05:55 AM
I'm thinking passing nofb to the kernel. Once booted up successfully with CD1 or the DVD, at the prompt type linux nofb, hit enter or perhaps, linux lowres. I've had to do this with several different hardware configurations, both desktops and laptops.

mccabemt
17th December 2004, 06:29 AM
You can also start the installation in text mode. You won't be able to do as fine of a package selection but you'll get the installation done.