PDA

View Full Version : How to install Autodesk Maya on Fedora

JamesNZ
21st January 2014, 07:49 PM
Hi all,
I've been trying on and off to install Maya on Fedora for about a year, so I thought I'd share the steps I took to get it working :)

Tested on F20 and F22 with Maya 2014 and Maya 2016 repespectively, both times with the proprietary nvidia drivers from rpmfusion (the FOSS drivers will not work).

First, download Maya from here (note that this link is for Maya 2014 SP4, but choose any version you want): http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-maya-2014-service-pack--4.html
Choose the 64bit linux tarball under the 'Maya 2014 Service Pack 4 Downloads' heading (note that Maya only works on 64bit Linux systems).

Once you've done that, run the following command as root to install all the dependencies needed:

# Replace yum with dnf if you're on F22 or later
yum install mesa-libGLw libXp gamin audiofile audiofile-devel e2fsprogs-libs libpng12 libXmu libXt libXi libXinerama libxcb tcsh xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi liberation-mono-fonts liberation-fonts-common liberation-sans-fonts liberation-serif-fontsNext we have to symlink libtiff.so.x to libtiff.so.3 (libtiff should already be installed). So run this as root:

ln -s /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.5.2.0 /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3 # Note that the version number of libtiff on your system may be slightly different
Run the command 'ifconfig' in the terminal, this will list your network devices. If the devices have names like p3p1 instead of eth0, then carry on with this step. Otherwise skip to step 4.

This is the clincher, if you don't do this, your install will fail!

If you're on F20 or earlier, run the following as root:

yum remove biosdevname
ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rulesIf you're on F21 or later, you need to add 'net.ifnames=0' (https://onemoretech.wordpress.com/2014/08/18/disable-renaming-of-network-interfaces/) to your GRUB boot command and reconfigure GRUB (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2) (read carefully, the process is different for BIOS and UEFI systems).

This will disable the Consistent Network Device Naming (CNDN) feature introduced in F15 which will confuse the Maya activation program and stop you from using Maya.
In plain english, it renames your network devices from something like p3p1 to eth0 :p
Once you've run the commands, reboot and check that your devices are now named sanely by running 'ifconfig' again. You should see a couple of devices with names like wlan0 and eth0.

Ok! Now to actually install Maya.
Open a terminal, log in as root and cd to the folder where you downloaded the Maya tarball. Untar the file and run the setup script with these commands:
mkdir maya
tar -C maya -zxvf NameOfTarball.tgz
cd maya
./setupThen after the install is finished, hopefully Maya will be working! :dance:

After-install troubleshooting

Maya starts up normally (i.e. shows the splash and everything) but crashes just before displaying the main window
I found that this was a driver problem related to libGL.so, so to fix it I wrote a small bash script to temporarily delete the libGL library: http://jamesnz.fedorapeople.org/utilities/maya_run. Download it, make it executable, and use it to run Maya.

Maya does not show up at all
Try running it with root permissions, i.e., `sudo /usr/local/bin/maya`. I recommend using sudo instead of su - to avoid complications with Maya's home directories.

The activation program starts, but fails when trying to activate over the internet
I really don't know why this happens, but you can choose the second option and use an activation file. To get one, click on the button to register (sign in with your Autodesk ID), and continue the steps until you get to the point where you need a activation XML file (I can't recall the exact name). If you have just run Maya and the activation program showed up, this file should be under /tmp, named something like 'AutodeskMayaLongForm.xml'. Upload this file, and download the generated activation file. You can then open this from the activation program, and the process should complete successfully.

Activation completes successfully, but only the viewport displays properly, the rest of the UI shows solid grey blocks instead of menus/toolbars
I have no idea why, but this only happens when using GDM. So, the simple solution is to use another DM like LXDM or SDDM. If you want to do this, install the DM, run `systemctl disable gdm.service` as root, and then `systemctl enable sddm.service` (replace the service name with your choice of DM). Reboot for the changes to take effect, and you should be good to go.

whitetyson
4th March 2014, 01:47 AM
Dude your so awesome i made an account to thank you! One step closer to ditching windows, though for some reason it only starts up when start it from the command line, if I click on the thumbnail it doesn't start up, i tried to install maya in fedora in the past but failed miserably multiple times and already had half of maya installed and I think the little thumbnail is still going wrong because it is from that, just wondering if you knew how I could make a new desktop shortcut for the working maya (i'm using the kde desktop environment, don't know if that helps or not) but yeah, I would have never of managed to be able to install maya if it wasn't for your post! (also, i've only been on linux for about two months)

Thanks again man!

JamesNZ
5th March 2014, 04:12 AM
Glad it works :)

About the desktop icon thing, right click in a folder on the desktop >> Create New >> Link to Application. You can set the path of the program to be opened (Maya in this case) in 'Application' tab >> Command. The Maya binary path should be something like: /usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/bin/maya

lalamax3d
5th March 2014, 11:11 AM
hi, thanks, can you please make similar one for foundry nuke.
my current issue is, when i extract .tar.gz it gives a file ( with no extension ) . technically it should run and install
when i try running this. it simply does nothing. bash complains, it can't execute binary file
any ideas..?

whitetyson
5th March 2014, 11:46 AM
Hey man, yeah that worked as well! thanks man, you have helped me out sooo much :dance:

JamesNZ
5th March 2014, 11:59 PM
hi, thanks, can you please make similar one for foundry nuke.
my current issue is, when i extract .tar.gz it gives a file ( with no extension ) . technically it should run and install
when i try running this. it simply does nothing. bash complains, it can't execute binary file
any ideas..?

Nuke doesn't need a guide, it already works flawlessly on Fedora. Just run the extracted file from the terminal with:
./NukeInstallerNameHereNote that you'll have to run it as root.

Hey man, yeah that worked as well! thanks man, you have helped me out sooo much :dance:

No problem :)

elmariachi
5th May 2014, 09:54 PM
Context:
Maya 2015
Fedora 20
3.14.2-200.fc20.x86_64

Tried:
Followed above instructions

sudo ./setup

Got error:
./setup: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Fix:
Had to add:
sudo yum install libpng12

Now, #sudo ./setup ran GUI installer, installation went through no problem.

Thanks!

JamesNZ
6th May 2014, 12:35 AM
Context:
Maya 2015
Fedora 20
3.14.2-200.fc20.x86_64

Tried:
Followed above instructions

sudo ./setupGot error:
./setup: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Fix:
Had to add:
sudo yum install libpng12Now, #sudo ./setup ran GUI installer, installation went through no problem.

Thanks!

Glad it works for you :) I added libpng12 to the dependencies.

samoz
2nd August 2014, 10:24 AM
Thank you JamesNZ for the guide! Missed a few things but now maya is running. Have you managed to get viewport 2.0 working?

When I look at terminal i can see that
VP2 Error: Failed to initialize graphics device.

Im using the nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 20

and ideas?

JamesNZ
9th August 2014, 06:56 AM
Thank you JamesNZ for the guide! Missed a few things but now maya is running. Have you managed to get viewport 2.0 working?

When I look at terminal i can see that
VP2 Error: Failed to initialize graphics device.

Im using the nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 20

and ideas?

Unfortunately not, I get the same error. Though IIRC viewport 2.0 requires 512MB of VRAM, which I do not have, so that might be why :p

samoz
9th August 2014, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately not, I get the same error. Though IIRC viewport 2.0 requires 512MB of VRAM, which I do not have, so that might be why :p

That might not be the case as I have 4gb on the video card and 24gb of system RAM. Thanks for the help =)

JamesNZ
9th August 2014, 09:59 AM
That might not be the case as I have 4gb on the video card and 24gb of system RAM. Thanks for the help =)

Hehe, indeed not :p My next best guess is because of libGL.so not being available, but not sure about that either. 2014 worked on F20 without needing to remove it, so I might be able to test that and verify whether it is/isn't the problem.

wilman131
31st October 2016, 02:55 AM
how to fix this? please help!

/usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i tried this way but nothing:

ln -s /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.5.2.4 /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3': File exists

Przemas
1st November 2016, 10:48 PM
ln -s /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.5.2.4 /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3': File exists

hmmm... all should be ok . It seems you already have the symlink (according to the output provided there is a libtiff.so.3 file). You might try ldconfig command as well (if I remember correctly).