PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What default packages can be removed without causing problems

djs407
21st January 2014, 03:55 PM
What default applications can be removed from F20 LXDE/Cinnamon/Enlightement without tearing up the OS?

I would like (very much) to remove Chome/Chromium, Midori, Internet chat, email client, Transmission or any other Torrent, Libre Office, Osmo organizer or any other address book, Cheese (don't use webcam), and any streaming programs in Multimedia.

But as I have read here, in Enlightement thread, removing Chrome will leave gaping hole in OS. And In Mint I could see that internet chat, email client and Libre office will affect core desktop and metacodecs packages (not that I didn't tried, desktop went blank, had to do clean install).

I'm new to Fedora, and LXDE, Cinnamon and E17 desktops are in order I plan to try them.

Thanks,

BBQdave
21st January 2014, 04:29 PM
I'm new to Fedora, and LXDE, Cinnamon and E17 desktops are in order I plan to try them.

http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=285287 just below your thread :)

A good place to start - Enlightenment, and perhaps the closest you will get to achieving the built as you like system.

djs407
21st January 2014, 05:19 PM
Enlightement developers said that this is not for the people who are looking for minimalist desktop configuration, with minimum of preinstalled programs :(

Cinnamon is familiar, satisfactory in functionality, but it's overloaded with unnecessary preinstalled programs.

LXDE in other Linuxes is just what I'm looking for (at least in Ubuntu-based WattOS), only in Watt it has very old versions of packages I'm using. LXDE in Fedora has reduced administration from GUI (Users and Groups were absent in menu), had to ask here what to install to make it appear. And too much of unnecessary default programs are installed. On the good side, F20 has newest versions of the programs I use.

Back to my original question, out of the top of anyone's head, what default packages can be removed without disabling OS?

sonoran
22nd January 2014, 11:34 PM
There are two approaches: install everything then pare out what you don't want; or, install the barest minimal
system and add only what you need. In my experience the second approach is faster and more controllable.

You might have better luck expanding a Window Manager rather than trying to contract a Desktop
Environment. You can install programs that work well with openbox, for example, and achieve the same
functionality as a DE, but without the bloat.

I hesitate before adding that there are other distros more suited to the modular, do-it-yourself approach than Fedora.

djs407
23rd January 2014, 12:26 PM
I didn't know about that before.

I tried to find this minimalist Linux, it was difficult, almost everything is bloated with office suites, chats, videos, multimedia, torrent, Chrome.

From desktop environments the bare bones pre-install with almost full functionality was WattOS (Ubuntu-based, LXDE). It has less default applications than Lubuntu or Fedora 20 LXDE, or any XFCE. Drawbacks: no root password to enter for validating Fedora .iso and make bootable usb as described. It seems to be common for Ubuntu derivatives. Desktop shotcuts to folders have to be made via files editing, not right click. And very old versions on programs I use (Gnumeric), while Fedora 20 has the newest. It's difficult to work with files, made in more new version of program, in older version.

I also tried AntiX Linux that has different window managers (Flukebox, Icewm, jwm) and file managers (SpaceFM, don't remeber the 2nd and 2-pane dos-like FM) built in, they can be rebooted in different combinations, but I didn't see the obvious way to increase their functionality. The same I see now in F20 LXDE with Open Box. Open Box Configuration Manager (in start menu) provides mostly appearance optins, not functionality.

Is there a way to expand functionality of Window Managers without doing it from command line (it's way beyond my level)? Any links or search terms to start with?
What minimalist Linux (not text install, command line or Linux From Scratch) with minimum of preinstalled programs do you know?

It will be a big help, I already tried more that 10 distributions, some of them with more than one desktop.

leigh123linux
23rd January 2014, 12:43 PM
Enlightement developers said that this is not for the people who are looking for minimalist desktop configuration, with minimum of preinstalled programs :(

Cinnamon is familiar, satisfactory in functionality, but it's overloaded with unnecessary preinstalled programs.

LXDE in other Linuxes is just what I'm looking for (at least in Ubuntu-based WattOS), only in Watt it has very old versions of packages I'm using. LXDE in Fedora has reduced administration from GUI (Users and Groups were absent in menu), had to ask here what to install to make it appear. And too much of unnecessary default programs are installed. On the good side, F20 has newest versions of the programs I use.

Back to my original question, out of the top of anyone's head, what default packages can be removed without disabling OS?

This statement is complete bull!!, cinnamon-desktop install is mean and lean.

$ dnf groupinfo cinnamon

Group: Cinnamon
Description: Cinnamon provides a desktop with a traditional layout, advanced features, easy to use, powerful and flexible.
Mandatory Packages:
NetworkManager-l2tp
NetworkManager-openconnect
NetworkManager-openvpn
NetworkManager-pptp
NetworkManager-vpnc
abrt-desktop
abrt-java-connector
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
brasero
cinnamon
cinnamon-control-center
cinnamon-screensaver
eog
evince
fedora-icon-theme
firefox
firewall-config
gedit
gnome-backgrounds
gnome-calculator
gnome-disk-utility
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-icon-theme-extras
gnome-icon-theme-legacy
gnome-icon-theme-symbolic
gnome-screenshot
gnome-system-monitor
gnome-terminal
gvfs-archive
gvfs-gphoto2
gvfs-mtp
gvfs-smb
icedtea-web
imsettings-cinnamon
initial-setup
lightdm-gtk
metacity
nemo-fileroller
nemo-preview
network-manager-applet
nm-connection-editor
policycoreutils-gui
sane-backends-drivers-scanners
setroubleshoot
shotwell
simple-scan
thunderbird
totem
totem-mozplugin
xdg-user-dirs-gtk
yumex

anything else is probably gnome install pollution :Y

djs407
23rd January 2014, 01:21 PM
There is no need to transform calm asking for an advice into a heated discussion (bull part).

Maybe it's Gnome pollution, this is what you get, because this is the only way to install Cinnamon, unless you download 4 GB DVD with Cinnamon, KDE, Gnome and others. But Cinnamon Mint was my working OS quite recently, until last version, and it was very similar with what I see now in F20 Cinnamon.

Here is my list of what I don't use anyway in F20 Cinnamon (from Gnome):

Contacts
Documents
LibreOffice (full)
Shotwell
Simple Scan
Empathy
Remote Desktop View
Thunderbird
Evolution
Cheese
RhytmBox
Videos
Screen Reader
Places
Recent

For comparison, F20 LXDE (no office):

ClipIt
Xpad
Midori
Pidgin
Sylfeed
Transmission
Abiword
Osmo
Asundo CD Ripper
Music Player

Minimum I could find so far, WattOS (Ubuntu based, LXDE too):

Pinta (graphics)
Transmission
Audacious
VLC media player.

It has own drawbacks: old versions of programs I use, no desktop shortcuts to folders via right click, no root password to verify Fedora download and make bootable usb.

Constructive suggestins, please.

leigh123linux
23rd January 2014, 01:27 PM
There is no need to transform calm asking for an advice into a heated discussion (bull part).

Maybe it's Gnome pollution, this is what you get, because this is the only way to install Cinnamon, unless you download 4 GB DVD with Cinnamon, KDE, Gnome and others. But Cinnamon Mint was my working OS quite recently, until last version, and it was very similar with what I see now in F20 Cinnamon.

Here is my list of what I don't use anyway in F20 Cinnamon (from Gnome):

Contacts
Documents
LibreOffice (full)
Shotwell
Simple Scan
Empathy
Remote Desktop View
Thunderbird
Evolution
Cheese
RhytmBox
Videos
Screen Reader
Places
Recent

For comparison, F20 LXDE (no office):

ClipIt
Xpad
Midori
Pidgin
Sylfeed
Transmission
Abiword
Osmo
Asundo CD Ripper
Music Player

Minimum I could find so far, WattOS (Ubuntu based, LXDE too):

Pinta (graphics)
Transmission
Audacious
VLC media player.

It has own drawbacks: old versions of programs I use, no desktop shortcuts to folders via right click, no root password to verify Fedora download and make bootable usb.

Constructive suggestins, please.

Also not true!!

Use the netinstall (320mb iso size)

http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/fedora/linux/releases/20/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-20-x86_64-netinst.iso

djs407
23rd January 2014, 01:31 PM
Sorry, unknown source, not official download.

leigh123linux
23rd January 2014, 01:35 PM

It's an official mirror!

http://fedoraproject.org/en_GB/get-fedora-all

Can you stop making stupid untrue remarks.

P.S added to the ignore list

bob
23rd January 2014, 02:48 PM
Okay, enough! Djs407, you're new to the Forum and probably have no idea of who you're arguing with. Leigh has more skills than most of us put together (although "people skills" isn't one of them! ;) ). He might have been a real help, but I'm instructing him to just drop this thread entirely and let others have a chance to work with you.

If arguments continue, I'll be forced to close this thread, at a minimum!

BBQdave
23rd January 2014, 03:52 PM

Unknown :confused:

Take a good look at https://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora#formats and next to Formats is Desktops, for more ISO choices :)

Not sure ultimately what your end goal is... not understanding your thought of bloat? On a Toshiba Satellite c655-s5503 and Lenovo Thinkpad T400, I have run F20 Gnome 3 and Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS - smooth and fast. I have run F20 Gnome 3 and Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS on 5400 RPM HD, 7200 RPM HD, and SSD - smooth and fast (blazing on the SSD).

My SSD is 64Gb, no problem on space. F20 Gnome 3 OS is around 5Gb, Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS OS is around 5Gb (if you are partitioning for the OS, I would allow at least 10Gb and most here would recommend 25Gb if you plan to run VM's). So far I have not broken 6Gb for the OS.

On my 64Gb SSD: I run Firefox (multiple tabs), GIMP, Scribus, Gedit, Rhythmbox... all other programs installed do not hamper or get in the way of my production. And I like having the availability of programs, such as that occasional file to open with Libre Office.

So if you are looking for a functioning OS with GUI, and tight on resources... maybe Lxde or Enlightenment. If you have 5Gb to give to an OS and modern hardware... maybe F20 Gnome 3 or Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS.

Either way, no real bloat (no crapware or free trial commercial ware).

djs407
24th January 2014, 12:38 PM
It's going nowhere. Unsubscribing and marking thread "solved".

bob
24th January 2014, 01:57 PM
And, since you're no longer interested and it's not productive, I'm closing it.