PDA

View Full Version : Strange issue with a program on F20 64bit

broadstairs
13th January 2014, 09:23 AM
I have a program I used for scanning on my 32bit system. I have downloaded the 64bit version for me F20 install and it generates errors to do with GTK which do not happen running the 32bit version on my F19 32bit system

(vuescan:14083): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Failed to load image '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/dialog-cancel.png': Fatal error in PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

(vuescan:14083): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Failed to load image '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/dialog-cancel.png': Fatal error in PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

(vuescan:14083): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Failed to load image '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/actions/dialog-cancel.png': Fatal error in PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

(vuescan:14083): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Failed to load image '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/application-exit.png': Fatal error in PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

(vuescan:14083): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Failed to load image '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/application-exit.png': Fatal error in PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

(vuescan:14083): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Failed to load image '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/actions/application-exit.png': Fatal error in PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

I contacted the author but he thinks it is a GTK issue. Searching I have found suggestions it could be an issue with the current version of libpng but strange if it is I have not found any bug reports.

Can anyone help shed any light on this.

Stuart

Ahmad Samir
13th January 2014, 10:10 AM
Do you have the oxygen-gtk2 package installed? if so, then it's probably the oxygen-gtk2 widget style/theme (this theme is supposed to make gtk2 apps look like KDE apps with the Oxygen theme) giving those errors. Uninstall it, and try again.

broadstairs
13th January 2014, 10:43 AM
Well I do have that installed but at least from Apper it wont uninstall because of dependencies.

Stuart

ocratato
13th January 2014, 12:46 PM
Have you tried simply viewing the images with some image viewer, eog or gimp ? That should indicate if its a libpng issue.

broadstairs
13th January 2014, 02:51 PM
Yes and I dont have a problem as far as I can tell using Gwenview everything displays just fine. I think it has to be a program issue but as yet I have been unable to persuade the author of that.

Stuart

dobbi
13th January 2014, 10:31 PM
Using Google
"Fatal error in PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib"

I found this,
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1027233

It appears to have something to do with libpng
have you checked that library?

in the package libpng-devel

/usr/bin/libpng-config
/usr/bin/libpng16-config
/usr/bin/png-fix-itxt
/usr/bin/pngfix

have you tried backing up one of those files and using the "pngfix" and see what happens?

Have anybody used those tools?

broadstairs
14th January 2014, 12:01 AM
Running pngfix against one of the failing files shows it all OK.

Stuart

dobbi
14th January 2014, 04:28 PM
Quote from The Avengers

Son I am sorry but you have a condition

Here is what I would try:

Suspecting that the software in question is asking for a version different from what it is installed I would try to find the right one and then think about on how to link it or put it somewhere where the software is looking for it before it tries the global locations(i.e /usr/bin and /bin folders).

- Create a VM and install Fedora 20 x86-64 in it.
- locate where and what libpng installs, using packagekit or rpm for it
Package libpng
/usr/lib64/libpng16.so.16
/usr/lib64/libpng16.so.16.3.0
- See if the problems occur on the VM too and if it does install the 32-bit libraries and see if they work fine.

$ yum search libpng
Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit
google-chrome/primary | 1.9 kB 00:00
google-chrome 3/3
updates/20/x86_64/pkgtags | 771 kB 00:00
============================= N/S matched: libpng ==============================
libpng12.i686 : Old version of libpng, needed to run old binaries
libpng10.i686 : Old version of libpng, needed to run old binaries
libpng10.x86_64 : Old version of libpng, needed to run old binaries
libpng10-devel.i686 : Development tools for version 1.0 of libpng
libpng10-devel.x86_64 : Development tools for version 1.0 of libpng
libpng12.x86_64 : Old version of libpng, needed to run old binaries
libpng12-devel.i686 : Development files for libpng 1.2
libpng12-devel.x86_64 : Development files for libpng 1.2
libpng15.i686 : Old version of libpng, needed to run old binaries
libpng15.x86_64 : Old version of libpng, needed to run old binaries
mingw32-libpng.noarch : MinGW Windows Libpng library
mingw32-libpng-static.noarch : Static version of MinGW Windows Libpng library
mingw64-libpng.noarch : MinGW Windows Libpng library
mingw64-libpng-static.noarch : Static version of MinGW Windows Libpng library
libpng.i686 : A library of functions for manipulating PNG image format files
libpng.x86_64 : A library of functions for manipulating PNG image format files
libpng-devel.i686 : Development tools for programs to manipulate PNG image
: format files
libpng-devel.x86_64 : Development tools for programs to manipulate PNG image
: format files
libpng-static.i686 : Static PNG image format file library
libpng-static.x86_64 : Static PNG image format file library
libpng-tools.x86_64 : Tools for PNG image format file library

If one of those works, then it is time to see where the program looks for it.
That can be done with strace

7 Strace Examples to Debug the Execution of a Program in Linux
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/11/strace-examples/

If it looks in any folder before it tries the linux ones I would put a copy of the library that works right there and contact the software developer to say that the program is using the wrong library that is why is going wrong, also the package people of Fedora may be interested in the issues and they could probably solve that problem.

Failing in this means you would have to go deeper down the rabbit hole, than we are talking stack traces and that would be better handled by the bugzilla people.

Sorry I can't do much about it.

ps: Do everything on the VM image first, only if you have good results with it you then try on your live system do not experiment on your system directly use the VM this is very important, do the mistakes elsewhere first.