PDA

View Full Version : Announcing the release of Fedora 20

nonamedotc
17th December 2013, 04:09 PM
Fedora 20 officially released

Download link -

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

Greetings!

We can say with great certainty the Fedora Project is pleased to announce the release of Fedora 20 ("Heisenbug"), which coincides with the 10th anniversary of the creation of the Fedora Project.

Download this leading-edge, free and open source operating system now:
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Detailed information about this release can be seen in the release notes:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/20/html/Release_Notes/index.html

*** Dedicated to Seth Vidal ***

On July 8, the Fedora Project lost Seth Vidal, a dedicated, tireless, and brilliant contributor. Seth was a lead developer of Yum and the Fedora update repository system. He worked to ensure that the technical and community infrastructure of Fedora worked well and consistently for users and contributors around the world. Seth touched the lives of hundreds of Fedora contributors directly and millions of others indirectly by improving the experience of using and updating Fedora.

The Fedora Project dedicates the Fedora 20 release to Seth and asks that you join us in remembering his generous spirit and incredible work that helped make Fedora what it is today. We miss you, Seth.

*** 10 Years of Fedora ***

The Fedora 20 release coincides with Fedora's tenth anniversary. The first Fedora release (then called Fedora Core 1) came out on November 6, 2003. The Fedora Project community has grown into an active and vibrant one that produces a new version of this leading-edge, free and open source operating system around every six months.

*** Desktop Environments and Spins ***

The Fedora Project strives to provide the best desktop experiences possible for users, from desktop environment to application selection. We also produce nearly a dozen spins tailor-made for desktop users, hardware design, gaming, musicians, artists, and early classroom environments.

Spins are available for download here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Spins

[ ... ]

Cheers,

-robyn

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2013-December/001282.html

bob
17th December 2013, 04:29 PM
And, as promised, the F20 Development sub-Forum's been moved to Archived. If you have a thread that's not SOLVED there, start a new one under Using Fedora (or wherever else is appropriate) and reference the Archived thread.

Thankee for letting us make your life more difficult once again! :D

lsatenstein
17th December 2013, 05:46 PM
I cant reinstall Fedora 20 on a netbook that previously had Fedora 20 thin lvm.

Any idea how I can reformat the hard drive. Gparted says it is a gpt formatted drive and that the backup table info is missing.

Otherwise, the warning is "Do not use thin lvm" with Fedora.

nonamedotc
17th December 2013, 05:58 PM
Use dd to reinitialize the drive - Typically, you do not have to let dd finish. Stop it after "sometime" and try gparted or anaconda ...

Thinkmarky
17th December 2013, 06:24 PM
fedup from 19 to 20, no problems so far, whoo ;)

thx to all devs for this great release.

jonnycat
17th December 2013, 06:37 PM
Is the manual partitioning section of anaconda any better than it has been on the last two releases?

DBelton
17th December 2013, 06:37 PM
Use dd to reinitialize the drive - Typically, you do not have to let dd finish. Stop it after "sometime" and try gparted or anaconda ...

gdisk also has an option to "Zap" all partition table info. It's really the best way to wipe out GPT partition information without zeroing the entire drive, since GPT also keeps a backup copy of the partition table at the end of the drive.

Alternatively, I have wiped the first few sectors and the last few sectors of the drive using dd.

kingsombra
17th December 2013, 06:45 PM
fedup from 19 to 20, no problems so far, whoo ;)

thx to all devs for this great release.

I still get a giggle when I think about the name fedup thinking that it could be quite appropriate for some. :C

But seriously, I have the NVIDIA 304 blob installed using akmod in F19. I'm wondering if a fedup is going to go smoothly for me, given that fact.

RahulSundaram
17th December 2013, 07:02 PM
Hi

If you use third party repos like RPM Fusion for drivers, it should be fine since fedup can handle that. If you use random non repo packages, you might have to handle that manually

kingsombra
17th December 2013, 07:12 PM
Hi

If you use third party repos like RPM Fusion for drivers, it should be fine since fedup can handle that. If you use random non repo packages, you might have to handle that manually

Cool. I used RPM Fusion. :dance:

inkrypted
17th December 2013, 09:59 PM
I got a few errors when trying with Yum So I am probably gonna back up my home directory and do a complete reinstall. Edit: Tried Fedup and it errored out on me too. Looks like that reinstall will have to wait till tomorrow but i'll get there.

phedora
18th December 2013, 02:42 AM
Is there a libreoffice for F20? It didn't come across (still have f19 versions) and causes a few broken dependencies.

Finalzone
18th December 2013, 02:51 AM
Is there a libreoffice for F20? It didn't come across (still have f19 versions) and causes a few broken dependencies.

LibreOffice is part of Fedora 20 repository. It seems you installed from LibreOffice website.