PDA

View Full Version : Change user picture in login manager/Fedora 19 XFCE

psylinux
15th November 2013, 10:12 PM
Hi everyone!
This is my first post, and even not my own language so please be kind :)

The "problem" that makes me feel dumb is this: since i switched from fedora 18 GNOME to fedora 19 XFCE I've tried to figure out how to change the "user picture" in login manager (which should be LightDM). Obviously I was not able, so switched to SLiM. Than hated slim, and tried to put GDM, but there was too much gnome in it, so turned back to LightDM.

If please someone could prove me stupid and share a way to do that, i really appreciate...

Thanks in advance, and if this is double thread (i've checked, but..) please be so kind to link me the solution!

PabloTwo
15th November 2013, 10:36 PM
Create the folder /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/<your_user_name>
The /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/ folders already exist.
Within that folder, place a 96x96 .png file of your choice.

Edit the file /var/lib/AccountsService/users/<your_user_name>
Add the line: Icon=/var/lib/AccountsService/icons/<your_user_name>/<my_picture>.png

Just did this myself in F20 Xfce yesterday. Here is a link (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LightDM#The_AccountsService_way) to an archwiki page describing this in a somewhat slightly different way. Supposedly, you should just be able to put your png image file /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/<your_user_name> without having to add the Icon= line to your /var/lib/AccountsService/users/<your_user_name> file and the accountsservice daemon will automatically pick it up, but the way I describe sort of guarantees that it works.

And welcome to the Fedora Forum

psylinux
15th November 2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks it worked and took 1 minute ;)

And thank you for welcome, glad to be here :)