PDA

View Full Version : How to share wifi using wifi hotspot

krimano
21st October 2013, 05:50 AM
Hi,

Is there any application in fedora to share wifi using a wifi hotspot like Connectify (http://www.connectify.me/) for windows? I know that this sounds weird but I cannot access the original wifi network because of mac id issues in our college. They give internet access only for those who register their mac id and that too only one mac id per student.

Please let me know if any application is available for Fedora 19. I am using Lenovo G460.

Thanks,
KM

flyingfsck
21st October 2013, 09:11 AM
Well, you can change the MAC ID of your machine temporarily using ifconfig:
# ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 1122334455667788

To see who's MACs you can 'borrow' when they are not around, use Kismet. To update the ARP cache of the router to recognise your machine, use arping.

Oh, the joys of using Linux for fun and profit... ;)

krimano
21st October 2013, 10:07 AM
Well, you can change the MAC ID of your machine temporarily using ifconfig:
# ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 1122334455667788

To see who's MACs you can 'borrow' when they are not around, use Kismet. To update the ARP cache of the router to recognise your machine, use arping.

Oh, the joys of using Linux for fun and profit... ;)

Thanks for the help. I can use this trick when my MAC ID gets blocked but here I want to access internet in my android mobile (4.1.2). That is the reason for my necessity of hotspot.

Thanks,
KM

trigpoint
21st October 2013, 10:16 AM
NetworkManager can share connections, but to share wifi to wifi will need a 2nd wireless NIC.

flyingfsck
21st October 2013, 11:09 AM
Hmm, so you need to change the MAC of the Android device. You should be able to do that if you install a terminal app on it so you can get into the guts of the thing - those do exist.

Otherwise, do as suggested above and get a USB WiFi dongle for your computer then do a bridge.

Also, both your laptop machine and your Android machine may have Bluetooth, so you may be able to bridge that way.

krimano
21st October 2013, 08:00 PM
Hmm, so you need to change the MAC of the Android device. You should be able to do that if you install a terminal app on it so you can get into the guts of the thing - those do exist.

Otherwise, do as suggested above and get a USB WiFi dongle for your computer then do a bridge.

Also, both your laptop machine and your Android machine may have Bluetooth, so you may be able to bridge that way.

Seems to be like there is no way to share wifi using wifi hotspot in Fedora. But I got this done in Windows 7 using Connectify (www.connectify.me)or Virtual Wifi Router (www.virtualwifirouter.com). If this is happening fine in Windows without any external USB dongle, don't you think it will be possible in Fedora as well ?

beaker_
21st October 2013, 08:15 PM
Ah glad you got it working in winblows then. problem solved.

flyingfsck
22nd October 2013, 10:26 AM
"don't you think it will be possible in Fedora as well ?" Anything is possible, you just got to go and write the code yourself...

This may be what you want:
https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/wireless/410475-how-setup-access-point.html

This one is special, since it is derived from one of my old scripts:
http://agentoss.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/wifi-repeaterrange-extender-script/