PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

tibin2
11th December 2004, 04:26 PM
ok there has to be somebody out there that knows how to command the power managment tool through terminal or text editing. i am running KDE and tried to go through control center=> no success. should i reinstall any package to be able to acess the power manaager? HELP i don't want my monitor turning off after idle for 15 min. i use my screensaver as a visual effect for my home office and really enjoy the eye candy while working on my other computers.

Stevenisme
11th December 2004, 06:47 PM
You mean remote control your computer(office) and use command to do so?

sailor
11th December 2004, 06:59 PM
I never did find out if this worked, but you may want to try playing around with the settings in the
/etc/rc.d/rc.local

# set timeout to 60 minutes
# I'm not positive, but I think setting
# this to zero may disable screen blanking
/usr/bin/setterm -blank 60

# the next 2 lines set the screen saver to go
# "EneregyStar" powersaver mode after that first
# 60 minutes, and into powerdown mode after another.
# You should only use this option if you have an
# "EnergyStar" monitor
/usr/bin/setterm -powersave vsync
/usr/bin/setterm -powerdown 60

# This line makes these settings stick until
# the next reboot
/usr/bin/setterm -store

crackers
11th December 2004, 07:08 PM
In the KDE Control Center, select Peripherals/Display and the "Power Control" tab.

And please do not double-post.

sailor
11th December 2004, 09:13 PM
ahh...thats where it is :)...but I think Fc likes to blank by itself anyway, at least that is a bug I ran into with FC 2. I did not notice it on FC 3.
I had tried multiple suggestions including the file edit above...but a few weeks later I moved on to FC3 . I was never sure if it had worked or not.
You might also uncheck the "make screensaver aware of power settings" in the screensaver config in control center(someone suggested that having one on and the other off might confuse the settings?)

tibin2
12th December 2004, 06:51 AM
thank you all for your suggetions and replies, i happened upon the solution while arguing with the wife why i should be in the computer room-home office trying to improve one of the tools to our disposal instead of spending time with her. lets get something straight,i post to these forums to get the skiny from the rest of the world that is experiencing some of the same every day problems i am. so----- if i double post to relieve some of my tension i apologize. but i love computing and rely upon the expertise of other open sourcers to make my passion for the computer arts more enjoyable!