PDA

View Full Version : VMware Workstation 9 on kernel 3.10

meheezen
3rd September 2013, 09:52 AM
Hello Everybody,

I had a bad time figuring out how to make VMware Workstation 9 work on Fedora 18 kernel 3.10.10-100 (or any kernel > 3.8)
After some research i've managed to make it work as intended, so i'll post a plain and simple script to fix a few things.

after installing the vmware bundle file and running vmware for the 1st time, you'll notice it fails to compile modules and just wont start, the following help you fix this and run vmware as intended.

Extract the zip file attached below (4 files total) and run patch_vmware9.sh as root / sudo

# sh patch_vmware9.sh

The script does the following:
1 - creates a sim link for the kernel headers (since vmware workstation cant find it on its own)
2 - patches and rebuilds vmblock, vmnet and vmci modules

I've tried many different patches with no luck but those included in the zip did the trick for me.

Read the script for links of where i got each patch and further help.

Hope it helps someone.

meheezen

jbusby
4th September 2013, 03:01 PM
This worked for me, thanks boss!

gx270
18th October 2013, 05:01 AM
This also worked for me, thanks you very much meheezen!

juanmapalad
12th November 2013, 04:37 AM
hi, i just installed vmware and created a new virtual machine..unfurtunately when i start running the vm that i created to start installing fedora.. it ask for a serail number..

where can we get serial number for vmware workstation(version 6.0.4)?

thanks

leigh123linux
12th November 2013, 07:59 AM
hi, i just installed vmware and created a new virtual machine..unfurtunately when i start running the vm that i created to start installing fedora.. it ask for a serail number..

where can we get serial number for vmware workstation(version 6.0.4)?

thanks
Go to the vmware site and pay.

bob
12th November 2013, 01:22 PM
Leigh's right. This is a forum for solving problems, not some low-life warez site. Please don't request anything illegal again or we'll have to remove you from the Forum.

ferry
12th November 2013, 04:30 PM
Why do not use VMware Player? It is free.

kpedersen
12th November 2013, 06:15 PM
Why not use VirtualBox. It is free'er.