PDA

View Full Version : IBM Lotus Notes Social Edition (Lotus Notes 9)



ThePowerTool
28th August 2013, 01:16 AM
I installed Lotus Notes 9 on Fedora 18 x86_64, this evening. I couldn't find any documentation on it but considering how easy it was I'm not surprised. I'm on a freshly installed and updated Fedora 18 (new system). I let yum handle all the deps.

In order:
gpg --import pub_ibm_notes.gpg
rpm --import pub_ibm_notes.gpg
yum install ibm_notes-9.0.i586.rpm
yum install ibm_cae-9.0.i586.rpm
yum install ibm_feedreader-9.0.i586.rpm
yum install ibm_activities-9.0.i586.rpm
yum install ibm_sametime-9.0.i586.rpm
yum install ibm_opensocial-9.0.i586.rpm

et voila! You have IBM Lotus Notes 9 ready to run. Look for the new blue icon.

Details:
[root@p7-1456c LN]# uname -a
Linux p7-1456c.localdomain 3.10.4-100.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 1 21:13:27 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@p7-1456c LN]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora release 18 (Spherical Cow)

Here are the dependancies I hit which is why I went for the yum install that ran flawlessly.
]$ rpm -ivh ./ibm_notes-9.0.i586.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
tcsh is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libart_lgpl_2.so.2 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libasound.so.2 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libbonobo-2.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libbonobo-activation.so.4 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libbonoboui-2.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libgconf-2.so.4 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libgnome-2.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libgnomecanvas-2.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libgnomeui-2.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libgnomevfs-2.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libORBit-2.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libpng12.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libpopt.so.0 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libxkbfile.so.1 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libXp.so.6 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libXss.so.1 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
libXtst.so.6 is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586
gnome-desktop is needed by ibm_notes-9.0-20130309.0942.i586

Gareth Jones
28th August 2013, 05:13 PM
Moved to Guides & Solutions.

ThePowerTool
22nd October 2013, 09:23 PM
So you have installed Lotus Notes 9 and tried and failed to bring over your names.nsf from your previous LN 8.5.3 install. When you try to open your LN 8.5.3 names.nsf in LN 9 you get an error saying the file is corrupted and/or truncated.

This happened to me. I found a work-around by running
fixup -F names.nsf
compact -c -d -i names.nsf
updall -X names.nsf
updall -R names.nsf

While this worked it wasn't 100% and I still received an error that my names.nsf was corrupted even though it appeared to work.

I spoke with a friend at IBM who had the suggestion that worked.

When I installed LN 9 I saved the original LN9-names.nsf as names-org.nsf. That allowed me to revert back by deleting my names.nsf and copying names-org.nsf to names.nsf. Once I verified this (mainly to have a clean, uncorrupted .nsf using the new LN 9 contact template) here's what I did:

I opened my original names.nsf by opening my contacts, like normal (by clicking the contacts icon in the workspace).

I next used ctrl-o and opened names853.nsf (my names.nsf from my 853 client). It opened without error.

I then manually copied "Recent" contacts to "Recent" in the fresh LN9 contacts db. Next I manually copied "My Contacts" from the old db to the new db.

I closed the old db and removed the icon from my workspace (probably not necessary but I didn't want two "Contacts" icons on my workspace).

I verified that the updated names.nsf was working by creating a test e-mail and entering names from the Recent and My Contacts list to verify both were working properly.

Special thanks to my friend from IBM for assistance with brainstorming!

For reference, here's the original error from fixup:
data]$ /opt/ibm/notes/fixup -F names.nsf

[28199:00002-4101863168] 10/22/2013 03:46:33 PM Database Fixup: Started: -F names.nsf
[28199:00002-4101863168] 10/22/2013 03:46:33 PM Database Fixup: Unable to fixup database /~path-to~/names.nsf: File truncated - file may have been damaged
[28199:00002-4101863168] 10/22/2013 03:46:33 PM Database Fixup: Shutdown