PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Yum incredibly slow

labatts
22nd August 2013, 03:26 PM
Hi, new Fedora user here (kubuntu refugee). Using Fedora 19, kde spin, 32 bit.

Running yum on my system is incredibly slow. I ran sudo yum update last night, it updated 4 packages that totalled about 700k, and it took about 45 minutes for the whole process to finish. It does not seem to matter whether I use the terminal, apper, or even yumex (i installed this at some point to see if it helped). As I type this, apper has been doing a simple search query for about 10 minutes now. I have seen that ppl in the past have complained about the download speed of yum, but this has not been the case for me. Once it starts downloading, it is as quick as anything else out there.

I have to assume that somehow a configuration file got corrupted (there is no way that yum is normally this slow, nobody would use it), but this is only a guess and I don't know where to look.

Any help is appreciated.

Gareth Jones
22nd August 2013, 03:43 PM
Is there any output whilst it’s being slow? If the PackageKit automatic updater is running in the background, then Yum could be waiting for the lock.

labatts
22nd August 2013, 04:03 PM
Is there any output whilst it’s being slow? If the PackageKit automatic updater is running in the background, then Yum could be waiting for the lock.

Well, yes it does that some times, but that is not the problem. I understand the difference. I ran another update a while ago (gave up on the package search) and it has been on the following lines for quite a while:

Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package glibc.i686 0:2.17-11.fc19 will be updated
---> Package glibc.i686 0:2.17-13.fc19 will be an update

(there is more, but it all looks like that. However, this is not the only place that it will take forever. Last night it took forever to run transaction checks, etc. at the end.

Gareth Jones
22nd August 2013, 04:14 PM
Try top or System Monitor to see if yum is doing anything, or maybe waiting for a child process.

labatts
22nd August 2013, 04:22 PM
Never used top before. This is what it says for yum whilst yum is "running transaction check":

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
14096 root 20 0 94676 66780 10912 D 1.3 0.4 0:27.22 yum

For whatever reason, system monitor doesn't seem to see it (at least not as yum).

labatts
22nd August 2013, 04:40 PM
Update, it is still "running transaction check"

Gareth Jones
22nd August 2013, 11:27 PM
For whatever reason, system monitor doesn't seem to see it (at least not as yum).

In the processes tab, click “View” at the top-right, and “All processes” and “Dependencies”. That should give you a process tree with Yum and it’s spawn.

It looks like Yum is doing something, but not maxing the CPU usage. Is the HDD active when this happens?

labatts
22nd August 2013, 11:40 PM
In the processes tab, click “View” at the top-right, and “All processes” and “Dependencies”. That should give you a process tree with Yum and it’s spawn.

It looks like Yum is doing something, but not maxing the CPU usage. Is the HDD active when this happens?

Ah, okay, thaks for the system monitor tip. As for the HDD, nothing seems to happen when it is like that.

Honestly (and a little sheepishly :rolleyes:), a simple restart seems to have fixed whatever the issue was. I just performed a couple commands on yum, and it was quite fast. I am reluctantly going to mark this fixed -- reluctantly because I swear that it has happened before, but I guess I will wait till it happens again. Thanks for the help.