PDA

View Full Version : Want to get rid of GDM

voodoodoc
11th August 2013, 10:40 PM
I've been using Linux Mint with MATE desktop and MDM for some time now. Everthing works fine. However when I switch to fedora my USB KVM doesn't work. The display does but it does not detect the keyboard or the mouse.

I have tried switching to MATE desktop but that doesn't seem to help. Next thing I wanted to try was getting rid of GDM and going with MDM. However I can't seem to find it.

So does anyone know how to get MDM installed and switch it to be the default?

voodoodoc
11th August 2013, 10:51 PM
So I did figure out how to switch display managers. I installed as much as it pains me, KDM. Then used systemctrl (why did they get rid of /etc/init.d scripts...grr) to disable GDM and enable KDM. Well KDM shows the same issues with the KVM so that's probably not going to help going to MDM but I'd still like to run that just for the heck of it so if anyone knows where to get the package that would still be great.

nonamedotc
11th August 2013, 10:52 PM
As far as I know, MDM has not been packaged for Fedora. You would need to build from source along with dependencies.

There are other login managers like lightdm and slim which are available in repository though. If interested, those can be installed and configured to be the default display manager.

Hope that helps.

voodoodoc
11th August 2013, 11:04 PM
As far as I know, MDM has not been packaged for Fedora

Ah well that would explain it then. Wonder why. Oh well.

There are other login managers like lightdm and slim which are available in repository though. If interested, those can be installed and configured to be the default display manager.

Yeah might have to try one of them but I'm thinking my problem is not the *DM.

leprechaun67
23rd October 2013, 02:50 AM
If anyone ever experiences what voodoodoc is experiencing not able to use the keyboard or mouse try rebooting the computer typing e at the kernel list and after the word quiet put the number 2 it should bring you to roo.....t login and issue this command yum install xorg-x11-drv-evdev that should fix the issue....

leigh123linux
23rd October 2013, 04:14 AM
I've been using Linux Mint with MATE desktop and MDM for some time now. Everthing works fine. However when I switch to fedora my USB KVM doesn't work. The display does but it does not detect the keyboard or the mouse.

I have tried switching to MATE desktop but that doesn't seem to help. Next thing I wanted to try was getting rid of GDM and going with MDM. However I can't seem to find it.

So does anyone know how to get MDM installed and switch it to be the default?
I wouldn't bother with MDM as it doesn't support systemd and probably wouldn't work well or at all.

nonamedotc
23rd October 2013, 05:48 AM
I wouldn't bother with MDM as it doesn't support systemd and probably wouldn't work well or at all.

I did not realize this till date. I guess Mint is in "upstart land"! :)