PDA

View Full Version : Gsettings not changing wallpaper under Cinnamon

rockhazard
6th August 2013, 08:21 AM
Hello! I'm having trouble manually setting the background in my Fedora 19 Cinnamon 1.9.1 install. Gsettings seems to accept any (even false) filenames, but won't change the background unless I use the gui tools. I'd like to get this to work for the purpose of shell scripting.

I'm using the command:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri file://"path to wallpaper image"

Ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Gareth Jones
7th August 2013, 05:04 PM
EDIT: Please disregard the note about GSettings being deprecated. I was thinking of GConf for some reason. GSettings uses DConf.

GSettings is deprecated in GNOME 3 (and thus Cinnamon). They use DConf now. Try something like

dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/background/picture-uri "file:///path/to/image/file.jpeg"
(assuming that Cinnamon still uses the /org/gnome/… name-space).

Gareth Jones
7th August 2013, 06:01 PM
(assuming that Cinnamon still uses the /org/gnome/… name-space).

This is more likely to be the problem. According to http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=274611&page=47, the key is now org.cinnamon.background. Also note that file:/// URIs start with three slashes.

rockhazard
8th August 2013, 04:03 AM
Thank you for your reply. Your last suggestion worked.

As to the path, I wasn't sufficiently clear; I used the word "path" meaning absolute path, so it included the root slash, which would make three slashes.