PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] DRI initialization failure, fglrx.ko missing/incompatible

roguemouser
1st August 2013, 04:01 AM
I recently upgraded my Fedora to FC 19, and I'm using akmod-catalyst for my video driver. A little more than a week later, after several updates, I noticed my desktop effects weren't working. When I tried to run a game under Wine, it crashed. After some digging, I found that both issues were related to openGL.

When I run glxinfo, I get the following message:

[mouser@orpheus ~]$ glxinfo
name of display: :0
X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
Minor opcode of failed request: 66 ()
Serial number of failed request: 13
Current serial number in output stream: 13

I'm running FC19 with akmod-catalyst video drivers. I tried replacing the drivers with kmod-catalyst and with the Catalyst drivers available from the AMD site, all with the same result.

I've attached my Xorg.0.log to this post. About 3/4 of the way down, it says:

[ 53.532] (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed. Probably kernel module missing or incompatible.
[ 53.533] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
[ 53.533] (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed *
[ 53.533] (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
[ 53.533] (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled *
[ 53.533] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********

So it looks like there's a problem with the fglrx kernel module. But how to fix it? Trying kmod-catalyst hasn't worked, and the driver from the AMD web site fails to install.

roguemouser
1st August 2013, 04:58 PM
I was able to get this sorted out. It seems to be a problem with fglrx and the 3.10 kernel. Here are the steps I took:

1. Made sure that kmod-catalyst and akmod-catalyst were removed using yum.

2. Used aticonfig --uninstall=force to completely remove all traces of AMD proprietary driver.

3. Rebooted to kernel 3.9 in terminal.

4. Forced install of AMD Catalyst proprietary driver.

5. Rebooted to kernel 3.10 ---- could not load initramfs.

6. Rebooted to kernel 3.9, removed kernel 3.10.

These steps solved the problem for me. I did reinstall kernel 3.10 to see what would happen. That returned an error building fglrx for kernel 3.10. So I'm going to blacklist kernel 3.10 and report the whole thing as a bug against the kernel.