PDA

View Full Version : help-me right click, new file

bgrakmn
29th July 2013, 10:39 AM
create a new file, right-click with fedora-18 gnome: (

bob
29th July 2013, 12:27 PM
Please explain your question, if there is one. Also, please read the Posting Rules. "Help-Me" is a very poor title.

DBelton
29th July 2013, 02:19 PM
Just as a guess, I am thinking he is wondering how to create a new file using the right click since nautilus no longer has the templates to create a new file.

BBQdave
29th July 2013, 02:35 PM
Never thought about it... usually I just start gedit and create a text document.

In Gnome 3, is there a way to set gedit as a preference in the right-click sub menu?

There is no choice in System Settings > Details > Default Applications, of setting a text editor.

beaker_
29th July 2013, 02:39 PM
Just copy what ever file type you want into ~/Templates. Well give it a meaningfull name anyway. Your right-click menu should now contain a "NewDocument" entry.

Though I think he's a bot.

DBelton
29th July 2013, 03:17 PM
Never thought about it... usually I just start gedit and create a text document.

In Gnome 3, is there a way to set gedit as a preference in the right-click sub menu?

There is no choice in System Settings > Details > Default Applications, of setting a text editor.

You can add it in your ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.lst file.

For example, under the Added Associations section, put a line like thus:

text/plain=fedora-geany.desktop;gedit.desktop;

That would add geany and gedit as associated applications for text files, and they should show up in the list of applications to open it with when you right click on a text flile.

BBQdave
29th July 2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the information :)

In Gnome 3.4.2 - Unity, I can right-click sub-menu > Create New Document > Empty Document, which creates a text document. Gedit is the default application to open and edit the newly created text document.

Oddly though, there is no entry in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.lst file of

text/plain=gedit.desktop;