PDA

View Full Version : GNOME Shell tweaks - kickstart

Adunaic
21st July 2013, 08:45 PM
Hi All,

So I usually make the below changes to my Fedora GNOME install, using the tools listed. I have a working LiveCD and would like to enable these features in the the LiveCD (and thus the default install from it). Any idea how?

Tweak Tool:
"Show data in clock"
"Default font"
"Document font"
"Monospace font"
"Window title font"
"CapLock as Control"

Addons:
Disable accesibility icon
Enable shutdown in menu.
Enable logout in menu

Dconf:
Enable hibernate

cazo
22nd July 2013, 12:25 AM
For the "Tweak Tool" settings, I believe you can do most of those through gsettings. They can be done through an 'override' file (like the LiveCD uses). These go in the %post section:

cat >> /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/filename.gschema.override <<FOE
[org.gnome.desktop.interface]
clock-show-date=true
default-font='Cantarell 11'
document-font-name='Sans 11'
monospace-font-name='Monospace 11'

[org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences]
window-title-font='Cantarell Bold 11'
FOE

# rebuild schema cache with any overrides we installed
glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

I couldn't find the "CapsLock as Control" setting. I think you can do it with something like (also in the %post section):

xmodmap -e "keycode 66 = Control_L Control_L Control_L Control_L"

bobclifford
22nd July 2013, 08:11 AM
Addons:
Disable accesibility icon
Enable shutdown in menu.
Enable logout in menu

gnome 3.8:
The accessibility icon is disabled, if nothing is enabled in Settings > Universal Access
Power Off is in menu.

You can add to what cazo posted above::
[ org.gnome.shell]
always-show-log-out=true

Gareth Jones
22nd July 2013, 03:26 PM
You can temporarily install software (such as Tweak Tool) on a running live CD – it is installed to the tmpfs in RAM. Then you can change the settings as you normally do.

Making them the defaults for an install might be trickier though.

cazo
24th July 2013, 04:41 AM
You can temporarily install software (such as Tweak Tool) on a running live CD it is installed to the tmpfs in RAM. Then you can change the settings as you normally do.

Making them the defaults for an install might be trickier though.

I haven't tried it recently, but I don't think changes made to a running LiveUSB (even with persistence) get transferred during a later installation.

That was (one of) the reason(s) I looked into livecd-creator & custom kickstarts.

Finalzone
24th July 2013, 05:24 AM
You will have to use custom kickstart file do the modification of configuration. Look at the section below %post within kickstart file.

Here a quick example taken from fedora-live-desktop.ks

%post
cat >> /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.shell.gschema.override << FOE
[org.gnome.shell]
favorite-apps=['firefox.desktop', 'evolution.desktop', 'empathy.desktop', 'rhythmbox.desktop', 'shotwell.desktop', 'libreoffice-writer.desktop', 'nautilus.desktop', 'gnome-documents.desktop', 'anaconda.desktop']
FOE

Alternatively, use system-config-kickstart.