PDA

View Full Version : mp3 decoder from yum?

futureguy
13th July 2013, 02:30 AM
I have some mp3s I'd like to listen to and no player that will do it. Qmmp, XMMS, Firefox, nothing. Is there something I can install to fix this issue?

Thanks.:dis:

Gareth Jones
13th July 2013, 02:54 AM
The MP3 codec isn’t included in Fedora for legal reasons (blame the general brain-death that is software patents).

The unofficial RPM Fusion repository includes most free/open-source software that Fedora cannot include: http://rpmfusion.org/.

How to install MP3 support depends on the music player. The GStreamer 0.10 and 1.0 plugin packages (-good, -bad, -ugly and -extra) cover most modern players.

The easiest solution is to use one of the scripts listed in the “Fedora Set-Up Guides” link above: AutoTen, easyLife or PostInstallerF. These also allow you to add various other things, like the Adobe Flash plug-in for Firefox etc.

MadmanRB
13th July 2013, 05:08 AM
Correct, Mp3 playback isnt included by default for legal reasons, but using packages from rpm fusion isnt that hard

ozjd
13th July 2013, 08:23 AM
Look at the top of the forum, there is a link to set up guides. The first one in the list has info on how to install the missing codecs.

BBQdave
13th July 2013, 03:54 PM
Fluendo (http://www.fluendo.com/) has a free mp3 codec pack you can install too :)

george_toolan
13th July 2013, 05:54 PM
Try to enable rpmfusion repository and

yum install xmms-mp3

futureguy
13th July 2013, 09:26 PM
That's great. I used yum install xmms-mp3and that worked, but I want to be able to play mpeg videos also. When i try to, I get the message "The Following Plugins are Required:

MPEG-1 Layer 2 (MP2) Decoder
MPEG-1 Video Decoder

Where do I find these?

I imagine I would like to have the newer codecs also, and any other types of codecs I can get.

Help!

MadmanRB
13th July 2013, 10:34 PM
Yeah codec installation is a bit rough in fedora, its a major weakpoint in it.

vallimar
14th July 2013, 01:22 AM
gstreamer-plugins-ugly & gstreamer1-plugins-ugly have the mp3 codec for gstreamer-based apps.
They can also be played with mplayer or ffmpeg. Those can both handle your video needs also.
If you are trying to play videos through gstreamer, you may need gstreamer-ffmpeg or gstreamer1-libav.
They are all be available in the rpmfusion-free repo. You also really need to learn how to search as
this question is answered regularly and there is a wealth of information easily available.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Yeah codec installation is a bit rough in fedora, its a major weakpoint in it.
It's only rough if you don't try to search for it. There is a tonne of info easily available
these days.

Wizofos
14th July 2013, 03:07 AM
If you added all the repositories in the set up guides then consider adding VLC which will run both video and audio files. I think that if you install VLC it will include all the codec's as dependencies.

smr54
14th July 2013, 04:25 AM
As various proprietary codecs aren't included, even though it's trivial to fix, this lack can be considered a weak point. If distro A is easy to fix with a little searching, but distro B doesn't require that search, then distro A has a weak point.

On the other hand, especially for a US based distro, that is run by a company that has enough money to make them a worthwhile target, it's the best course of action. Otherwise, a lot of those resources that give us good things would probably be spent on lawyers.

ozjd
14th July 2013, 05:42 AM
There is an alternative, Fedora remixes like Korora include the codecs and other packages many people install like VLC.

george_toolan
14th July 2013, 09:09 AM
Once you've enabled rpmfusion repository you can easily install other media players as well:

yum install mplayer vlc kaffeine

They should be able to handle most codecs out of the box ;-)