PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing MP3 Codecs?

absal0m
7th July 2013, 06:59 PM
Hi! Well first I am absal0m and as my first post I would first like to say it is a pleasure to be here!

I got my new laptop as a gift, and of course being the first thing I did with it, I installed Fedora 18 (Now Fedora 19 is installed on it). I have beats audio on my computer, but I was wondering if maybe the gstreamer "ugly" codecs were messing with my audio quality because personally, I am not impressed with my laptop speakers at all. Therefore, I was wondering if there was anyplace I could purchase MP3 codecs that would work with Rythmbox in hope of better sound quality.

Any suggestions?

Dutchy
7th July 2013, 07:47 PM
Not possible and if it was it would be utterly pointless since MP3 decoding is already just fine.
Waste/spend your money on something else, a good headphone for instance.

absal0m
7th July 2013, 08:01 PM
Not possible and if it was it would be utterly pointless since MP3 decoding is already just fine.
Waste/spend your money on something else, a good headphone for instance.

Sad to hear. I already "wasted my money" on nice headphones. I was just hoping the speaker quality could be enhanced somehow.

Dutchy
7th July 2013, 08:20 PM
Have you tried out pulseaudio-equalizer (there should be an equalizer for Rhythmbox too but I believe it isn't maintained and doesn't work anymore)?

marko
7th July 2013, 08:32 PM
It's very likely that the actually speaker quality is not very good (most laptops don't have good speakers) or that the amp just can't drive them well enough. Going with headphones attacks the issue from the weak amplifier side, since headphones use less power usually.

I'd only blame something like codecs if you heard the laptop sounding much better on a different OS or configuration. I have a Toshiba R945 and it sounds really weak and poor but my Sony Vaio is much better but both run Fedora.

It's also possible that a mixing level is way off, take a look in PulseAudio Volume Control, I've noticed the output tab can show volumes greater than 100%

absal0m
7th July 2013, 08:37 PM
I have not! Sadly it has seemed to crash after isntall, but I will hopefully fix it. Thanks for the suggestion!

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

It's very likely that the actually speaker quality is not very good (most laptops don't have good speakers) or that the amp just can't drive them well enough. Going with headphones attacks the issue from the weak amplifier side, since headphones use less power usually.

I'd only blame something like codecs if you heard the laptop sounding much better on a different OS or configuration. I have a Toshiba R945 and it sounds really weak and poor but my Sony Vaio is much better but both run Fedora.

It's also possible that a mixing level is way off, take a look in PulseAudio Volume Control, I've noticed the output tab can show volumes greater than 100%

Does yours have beats audio? Sadly I haven't been able to compare it with another OS.

Dan
7th July 2013, 08:42 PM
You'd have to go a long way into fiction to call those things in my Toshiba R830 speakers. More like an irritating audio reminder device that it's time to go fetch some earbuds. <..http://forums.fedoraforum.org//forum/images/icons/icon6.gif..>

marko
7th July 2013, 08:51 PM
Does yours have beats audio? Sadly I haven't been able to compare it with another OS.

No, I don't have a Beats based audio, that's only on branded HP laptops

MadmanRB
7th July 2013, 09:20 PM
I never had any sound issues with gstreamer, its most likely your speakers.

rowanp28
7th July 2013, 11:11 PM
I notice that for windows there is a beats audio driver. probably bundled with that is some optimised pre shapes for specific applications. With linux its as always a manual tweak thing. Beats audio as far as ive had experience with it is all pre shaped eq curves built in and personally i dont like it, but i do use my computers for audio production so all these "optimised" settings are just anther thing id have to turn off.

hmaarrfk
7th July 2013, 11:32 PM
So how do your speakers sound in Windows? Do they actually sound better? It is very likely that there is some EQ going on behind the scenes in the Beats Audio driver for the specific speakers. If so, you should probably ask HP to support Linux in the future.

sea
8th July 2013, 12:09 AM
I've figured at some times, that when:
I watch a video with VLC at sound level 180% and then close VLC,
open a browser to watch youtube, rhythmbox ot listen music, the soundlevel is intense so my netbook speakers kind of collapse.

Opening alsamixer and reduce the soundlevel to 100% fixes it.
Not sure if this even applies to you.

pete_1967
8th July 2013, 02:40 AM
Not possible...
Bit of rubbish.

absal0m if you want to pay for the codecs, Fluendo (http://www.fluendo.com/shop/category/end-user-products/) has been providing them for several years now (some time ago, most players guided you to their site when you tried to play a file you were missing codecs for, don't know if that still happens on any distro). They are not extremely expensive and are portable when you upgrade. At least if you pay for them, you're covered against any legal crap that is thrown at people more and more nowadays. Have a look at their offering and at least then you're able to make an informed decision on whether you want to pay for them or not.

P.S. Fluendo are the company behind GStreamer so your money doesn't just go to line someone's pockets, it goes to a company that provides part of your OS's sound system.

BBQdave
8th July 2013, 05:09 AM
The Fluendo mp3 codec pack is free. There are other bundled codecs and applications you can purchase from Fluendo for your Linux machine.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

A nice set of ear-buds goes along way for music play back on a notebook :)

absal0m
8th July 2013, 06:24 AM
Honestly this is an AWESOME forum. All your comments have been very helpful. Coming to fedoraforum.org was a GREAT choice, thank you all for giving a wonderful first experience!

I have come to a conclusion from your replies:

The "beats audio" is the speakers and subwoofer that come with my laptop, with optimised wq curves. So what I can tell, by adjusting the eq curves manually I can optimise my speakers to what I like. Phew, that was a close one.

Mp3 codecs probably aren't messing up my sound quality, but it isn't a terrible idea to buy them. Plus, it would support something I stand for. Seems like I will get one.

Just now I adjusted my eq curves and it sounds much MUCH better.

Thanks so much!

Happy Hacking! :dance: