PDA

View Full Version : Odd Gnome issue

Ihatewindows
24th April 2013, 09:15 PM
First it may help to understand my reasoning behind this. I wanted to take the Mac4Lin packages and make one for Gnome 3. I don't think it would be that hard, I would have to snag some things from Ubuntu Unity to make it work as intended, but it should work beautifully. ;)

Now to the crux: I installed Gnome, an alternate way because the way I had been doing it (sudo yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment") didn't work anymore. :blink:
So, I installed it by "sudo yum install gnome-shell" and from the terminal, it looks like it worked, but it wasn't in my DE list. :doh: So, I thought it was a GDM thing, installed GDM, and I have the same issue.

What would really help is a package list for Gnome, so I can tell yum to install anything it may have missed by just installing gnome-shell and gdm.

Many thanks in advance! :)

solo2101
24th April 2013, 11:13 PM
This works:
yum install @gnome-desktop

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

and it works with any DE... "@kde-desktop" "@mate-desktop" @lxde-desktop" ... xfce ... etc...

Ihatewindows
24th April 2013, 11:27 PM
Alright, I'll try it.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Funny, it's acting like nothing was installed when stuff WAS installed. :confused: I won't argue with it though...

solo2101
24th April 2013, 11:58 PM
Hmmm... were you able to get gnome as an option at least?

Ihatewindows
25th April 2013, 01:13 AM
Yup. Starting on the theming. Fingers crossed. :)