PDA

View Full Version : Printing Test Day tomorrow!

AdamW
3rd April 2013, 11:06 PM
As we work towards releasing the Fedora 19 Alpha (due in a couple of weeks), the Fedora 19 Test Days (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Fedora_19_test_days) continue apace. Next up, tomorrow - 2013-04-04 - is printing Test Day (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2013-04-04_Printing). The goal is to check that the printing stack and user-facing tools are all in good working order for Fedora 19. Printing is something most of us still have to do from time to time, and it's easy to test from a live image, so this is an ideal Test Day for most anyone to get involved in - the testing is easy and there's no need to risk any permanent changes to your system. If all you have time to do is boot up a live image and test if your printer works, that's great!

So please, check out the instructions on the Wiki page (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2013-04-04_Printing) and help out tomorrow if you have a bit of spare time. You can join us in #fedora-test-day on Freenode IRC to get help or discuss any problems you find. If you’re not sure how to use IRC, we have some instructions here (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_IRC), or you can just click here (http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=fedora-test-day) to join through a Web front end.

Dan
4th April 2013, 12:02 AM
Link to the latest build to use for testing? (TC3, I assume?)

Dan
4th April 2013, 03:13 AM
OK. Report as follows:

Network printers were not automatically found. However, once I hit the button to go find one, it automagically found both of them, and when I clicked to add one, it automagically found the drivers and installed them.

Then it successfully printed a test page of expected quality.

However, that's where all the joy-joy feelings came grinding to a halt. Next thing I tried was simple scan to scan the print sheet and post it here. Not so much. (Not particularly surprising either. Scanning from either of these usually takes setting them up in/through HPLIP first.) The only thing it could find was the webcam, and it immediately started to lag and failed shortly after grabbing an image. Then I tried to open a terminal, and Gnome crashed, but recovered after a few seconds. Then when I tried to open a terminal again, Gnome crashed hard. The screen went black (except the cursor), and nothing else worked. Popping into tty2, I caught a series of write errors (to read only file systems) with [ctrl]+[alt]+[bkspc] or [ctrl]+[alt]+[del] presses. Same results if I poked the power button.

Finally had to give it computer de-fib (seven second hold) to get it shut down.

Not good!

Anyway, the printer involved was a networked HP OfficeJet 6700 Premium. And I now have a nicely printed CUPS test page for my efforts. If you really want to see it ... I'll send it to you in the snail-mail. <..:p..>

Dan
4th April 2013, 03:30 AM
Disregard last. File attached.

(Scanned via HPLIP in F18/Gnome3 <..:Y..> )

b4time
4th April 2013, 03:38 PM
Tried to test printing today off a usb drive.When I open the printer gui it finds my printer no problem.thats about all I can do at the moment as it seems persistent storage is not working on the usb drive.my drivers are not listed in the printer gui.I always download them from brother and install them per their instruction.Later on I'm going to try to make a usb drive with persistent storage using livecd-tools.I must admit though by the time I read up and do this printer test day will be over most likely.Maybe I can help next time.sorry

DBelton
4th April 2013, 03:49 PM
Going to be testing F19 here in a couple of days, but I will go ahead and say that printing has become more and more of a problem the past couple of Fedora releases for me. It's becoming more of a problem just to set up a network attached HP Laserjet 4300dtn.

Fedora 10-15 it picked it up and configured everything correctly for me automatically once I pointed cups to it. F16-F18, I had to manually go in an sort through the drivers to find the correct one. It always tried to default to a driver that wouldn't work. :(

I don't believe that is a Fedora issue, but it's still been driving me nuts. It's not like I have a oddball printer.

b4time
4th April 2013, 04:13 PM
Your right DBelton f15(maybe14 can't remember) was the last release that worked correctly for me as far as printing.this is a linux problem it seems or a cups problem It started happening to me on other distro's also.This time for me on 19 detection worked right away for my wireless j630w brother printer.no pinging the printer opening ports or checking what protocols are active on the printer and the ports it's using.detects it just like it should.

Dan
4th April 2013, 04:33 PM
Not much action on the IRC. Left a message referencing this thread and bugged out.

AdamW
4th April 2013, 06:45 PM
dan: when you start getting write errors to read-only files and crashes and stuff when running live, it usually means you've 'written' too much data to disk (that stuff is written to a RAM disk, when booted live), which causes it to bug out in all the ways described. If you had to 'yum install' or 'yum update' some stuff, or install a huge HP proprietary driver or something, that could explain it. Apologies if it was a bit unpolished, I'm not able to do a lot of shepherding on the test days at present.

AdamW
4th April 2013, 06:46 PM
dbelton: FWIW for my network attached HP I use HP's hp-setup tool, not system-config-printer. It seems to work. But you have to re-run it every time there's a major hplip package bump, because the package and the proprietary firmware lump that hp-setup downloads get out of sync.

Dan
4th April 2013, 07:18 PM
dan: when you start getting write errors to read-only files and crashes and stuff when running live, it usually means you've 'written' too much data to disk (that stuff is written to a RAM disk, when booted live), which causes it to bug out in all the ways described. If you had to 'yum install' or 'yum update' some stuff, or install a huge HP proprietary driver or something, that could explain it. Apologies if it was a bit unpolished, I'm not able to do a lot of shepherding on the test days at present.Nope. Didn't yum install anything, just let it fetch what it thought it needed to run the printer.

From the timing of the whole affair, I'd guess the data overflow probably came in from the webcam.

I don't know how big of a ram disk it built automatically, but you'd think over 7 gigs of ram (left over after the system is up and running -- 8 gigs total) would have been enough.

Ah, well! Like I said ... it's a fedora Alpha. Those are nothing if not entertaining. <..:p..>

Bottom line is, it did mostly what was expected. It found, fetched and printed with only a few small prods.

ryptyde
7th April 2013, 02:07 AM
Late to the print party but will give my results of today. system-config-printer found the H-P C8180 and printed a test page like Dan's. Felt brave and decided to access my mail account to retrieve a .pdf entry form and firefox kept crashing so done a yum update firefox and that fixed the crash. Well anyway the .pdf downloaded and opened with document viewer and was able to print wirelessly from laptop to printer.
No wireless scan available . Tested from a usb flash drive.

phil

EDIT: created a document in gedit and sent it to printer successfully.

DBelton
7th April 2013, 04:34 AM
dbelton: FWIW for my network attached HP I use HP's hp-setup tool, not system-config-printer. It seems to work. But you have to re-run it every time there's a major hplip package bump, because the package and the proprietary firmware lump that hp-setup downloads get out of sync.

HP's setup tool doesn't seem to work on the older printers. I have a Laserjet 5 and a Laserjet 4300dtn, and it detects neither of them. The hplip drivers don't work with it. :( I have to use the CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9 Simplified driver or it won't print at all.

Edit:

hplip does support the older printers I have if they are plugged into the parallel port, but not network attached.

AdamW
19th April 2013, 06:25 AM
I tried attaching a turbocharger to my printer, but now I just have an inky mess all over my carpet. Please send compensation.

DBelton
19th April 2013, 06:50 AM
The turbocharger spam got hit with a turbo ban :D