PDA

View Full Version : Ardour 3 released (at last)

dknation
12th March 2013, 02:32 AM
After too many years of waiting, Ardour 3 is finally for real! :dance:
I guess we won't see it in the Fedora repositories until Fedora 20 (even if I hope it will be there in Fedora 19 already),
but it's available for download at the Ardour web site, and will not conflict with existing Ardour 2.x installations.

I haven't tried it myself yet (I tested a alpha-release two years ago, and it looked promising), so I'm curious to
see any other person's opinions on it.

I am planning on installing it on my Fedora 18 desktop, on which I am already running Renoise, but I'm in the
act of switching some hardware in that one, and it doesn't have that high priority, so it may be a while in the future.
Writing this from a netbook, not suitable for running a DAW.

Check out the news from Ardour here: https://community.ardour.org/node/6908

gadgetwiz
12th March 2013, 10:02 AM
That's good news. My current system is running an Echo Layla & Fedora 14 base with the addition of Planet CCRMA repos.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/planetccrma.html

I'm certainly in need of a software and PC hardware update.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24717&d=1363078832

dknation
12th March 2013, 03:05 PM
Ah, if you still are on Fedora 14 you probably have a version of Jack that is outdated, and will need to update in order to get Ardour3 to work properly. Fedora 14 was my favorite distro also, but life goes on. :)
Try the Fedora 18 XFCE spin if you're allergic to Gnome-shell.

Your studio setup looks cool, but I would do something about the placement of the speakers. ;)
You can build cheap monitor stands from a pair of thick cardboard tubes and four pieces of wood.

gadgetwiz
12th March 2013, 05:17 PM
Yes, I use F18 + Mate on my main system/multimedia box. I haven't looked at Planet CCRMA stuff for F18 yet so I don't know if anything there is Gnome3 dependent. I certainly hope not. I'm also not sure if they include the new Ardour in their F18 offering. If so, I'll be upgrading sooner than later. I might have to wait awhile before it shows up.The low latency kernel is a must for me on the DAW, which CCRMA provides and keeps updated.

In the pic of my DAW rig running F14, you'll notice that I have a pair of Alesis Nearfield Monitors on the bottom, which I use for mixing. You're right in that they could come up a little.

Those large speakers are mainly for jammin'.

samtuke
23rd April 2013, 12:32 AM
Anyone know where to get an rpm of Ardour 3+ for Fedora 18? Been a while since the 3.0 release but I don't see it in the CCRMA repo. Annoying they've set up a paywall for GNU/Linux users on the main site. Is manual compiling a viable option?

pjoh
23rd April 2013, 10:13 AM
I've been compiling using source from the git repo, instructions here
http://ardour.org/building_linux.html
but can replace 3.0 with 3.1 now.
i needed to install quite a few devel rpms. When/if ./waf configure step fails just yum search for package providing what it needs and install it.
here's a list of things i had to install, there are more but they were already installed on my system

jack-audio-connection-kit-devel libsndfile-devel -y liblo-devel aubio-devel cppunit-devel cwiid-devel liblrdf-devel libsamplerate-devel lv2-devel serd-devel sord-devel sratom-devel lilv-devel flac-devel gtkmm-2.4-devel gtkmm24-devel libgnomecanvas-devel libgnomecanvasmm26-devel suil-devel

samtuke
8th May 2013, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the advice - I've grabbed 3.1 from the git repo and after meeting lib dependencies, am now compiling it.

jack-audio-connection-kit-devel libsndfile-devel -y liblo-devel aubio-devel cppunit-devel cwiid-devel liblrdf-devel libsamplerate-devel lv2-devel serd-devel sord-devel sratom-devel lilv-devel flac-devel gtkmm-2.4-devel gtkmm24-devel libgnomecanvas-devel libgnomecanvasmm26-devel suil-devel

I additionally had to install:

libcurl libcurl-devel uuid uuid-devel libuuid libuuid-devel lib fftw3 fftw3-devel liboggz liboggz-devel

So far, compiling Ardour manually seems straightforward, as it should be :)