PDA

View Full Version : File Associations persist after uninstalling WINE

darkskyabove
1st March 2013, 06:58 AM
I recently uninstalled WINE, and then noticed when opening a text file that notepad was still an option. Checking my file associations revealed that, yes, notepad was still listed as a potential text application for literally all entries. After manually deleting all associations to notepad, I filed a bug report with WINE: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33087.

This is mostly trivial, but it wouldn't hurt to check what other remnants are left from an uninstall. This has been a recurring problem with 3rd -party software. Obviously, uninstallers don't remove user-created files, and or, directories, but invasion of the system can be much more serious, or problematic.

If you've uninstalled a 3rd-party application lately, I'd suggest checking for any remnants. (Yes, that may turn into a somewhat full-time job, what can I say?) The file associations applet in system-settings might be a good place to start. Those familiar with the structure of their file system may wish to scan through directories and see if any "uninstalled" software still has files stored.

Cygn
1st March 2013, 11:11 AM
That would get rid of all (most) trace of wine in your home & config:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/applications/wine*
rm ~/.local/share/mime/*/*wine*
rm -rf ~/.wine*

Personally, I'd be real upset if an rpm uninstall ran this for all users. It's not up to a system install/uninstall operation (be it rpm/deb/src/whatever) to mess with user files.

darkskyabove
1st March 2013, 11:51 AM
I thought I stated that removal of user-created files and directories was not at issue. File associations is a system-wide procedure, affecting most every aspect of the "modern", user-friendly GUI. I click on an mp3, and it opens in VLC, very convienient. I click on a text file and my system hangs trying to load it into some software that no longer exists, not so convienient.