PDA

View Full Version : Autoten vs. Easy Life vs. PostInstallerF

Dan
20th February 2013, 09:42 PM
This one is all about what you've used, and your opinions of their functionality.

Those opinions are what I'm interested in. However, there are some ground rules here. Speak to the positive. Tell me the good stuff. Mention negatives if you absolutely must, but know that if a post decays into insults, derision, disrespect or unkind words about any of the work these gentlemen have done for us, you can bet your post will be shortly blown right back into random electron motion. -- And I'll make a mental note of it.

Here's why I'm asking.

Among the carnage and chaos of my installation adventures yesterday, I decided to try all three. A little from this, a little from that, and a bit from the other. Seemed like a good time to test them side-by-side.

Not so much. As soon as I installed one, it tried to run, but immediately blipped out, leaving me none the wiser why. Ooohkay! So I attempted to install the next one, only to be informed that it was conflicting with the first. <..:eek:..>

Right after that, the thing black-screened on me (no fault of these scripts, though) and I ended up blowing away the install entirely.

So, I'm curious. Which do you normally use? Have you run into this conflict before? Any idea what drove the first one into crash mode? (As in ... has it happened to you? Personally, it's the very first time I'd ever seen one fail. ) and generally, which are you most comfortable with?

mikee
20th February 2013, 09:48 PM
what are those? lol

bob
20th February 2013, 10:06 PM
At present, I'm using PostInstallerF and satisfied with the results. It has more options than either AutoTen or EasyLife and doesn't conflict (at least with EasyLife, which is also installed).

A caveat is that it does install RussianFedora distros to draw packages from, but they seem very well-maintained and they are listed on FedoraProject as standard repos.

OTOH, AutoTen's always been my first choice for setting up codecs, etc. I hope that Dave's able to continue his excellent script.

Ihatewindows
20th February 2013, 10:31 PM
I like to make a custom script to do it for me. ;)

nonamedotc
20th February 2013, 10:38 PM
I prefer to do everything manually - hands on! :D

mikee
20th February 2013, 10:43 PM
I liked the previous description of "hands on" better. lol
Hey, I am a sysadmin.. It's how I learn.

Dan
20th February 2013, 10:58 PM
Uhm, Yeah. John was good enough to fire me a quick PM about that. Glad he did! Could have gotten real ugly, otherwise. <..:rolleyes:..>

sea
20th February 2013, 11:02 PM
None of the listed.

Just like later joined "ihatewindows" i like to write my own scripts... ;)

I'm using:
For Third Party Programs: http://sea.hostingsociety.com/?p=Scripts&stc=tpp
For Wine: http://sea.hostingsociety.com/?p=Scripts&stc=F15-WINE-for-games.sh (not updated/used since f15)
Script-Tools: http://sea.hostingsociety.com/?p=Script-Tools&stc=Installation#repo
Which are (just like the named ones) constantly worked on, but due to (assuming) the fact of it beeing plain CLI not receiving any feedbacks, and therefor might be imperfect on 'first try' or too complex (???) for new users.

Maybe it would need a better readme, but i cant improve it as i dont know (Feedback!) whats confusing or missing.
Maybe its not described the best, even as author of it, i dont really know how to describe it.

hth

glennzo
21st February 2013, 12:20 AM
I'd rather customize my own systems so I don't use any of them.

Ihatewindows
21st February 2013, 12:36 AM
Someone may want to check the percentages here...it adds up to 110%! :eek:

Dan
21st February 2013, 01:24 AM
That's about right. The poll is set up so if you use more than one, you can select both.

DBelton
21st February 2013, 02:38 AM
Dan, The AutoPlus (Autoten) script seems to have a few glitches, one is that it doesn't check to be sure zenity is installed before it tries to use it. (there is another small typo in the line where it installs libdvdcss which gives you a strange package not found error for install, but you can ignore that one It's due to an extra install command in the yum install line)

If the autoplus script is the one that just blinked and ended, try installing zenity, and run it again.

Edit:
I believe zenity gets installed as a dependency if you install Gnome, but I had to install it manually since I use Xfce.

DBelton
21st February 2013, 02:42 AM
Someone may want to check the percentages here...it adds up to 110%! :eek:

Interesting. Now it adds up to something like 107.6% Probably just rounding and formatting glitches in what it displays.

Dan
21st February 2013, 02:50 AM
... If the autoplus script is the one that just blinked and ended, try installing zenity, and run it again.

Edit:
I believe zenity gets installed as a dependency if you install Gnome, but I had to install it manually since I use Xfce.
Zenity was indeed the culprit. However, Mate drug it in as a dependency, so that's good to go now.

Aliaric
21st February 2013, 08:37 AM
I prefer do post install manually. So I checked "mjm's" and "struggle"

Wayne
21st February 2013, 10:31 AM
Stanton Finley's FC5 guide... Whoops, that was a while ago :p

Thetargos
22nd February 2013, 12:18 AM
None! I manually install and configure RPMFusion from Anaconda at install time! :cool:

CronoCloud
22nd February 2013, 02:10 AM
I mostly use the mjm method with a few manual ones, but since I've upgraded in place since F15 I don't really have to do much.

I also keep a simple text file listing things I've done at various times so I can go back and reference if I need to do it again, that's for things like setting up my DIRCOLORS.

CronoCloud

Darton
22nd February 2013, 02:35 AM
Just a few manual tweaks. I don't install on my personal machines frequently (every other Fedora release) and am mostly satisfied with the defaults. For servers I use Kickstart or just clone a VM.

Ihatewindows
22nd February 2013, 03:07 AM
That's about right. The poll is set up so if you use more than one, you can select both.

That explains some things. :C

glennzo
22nd February 2013, 09:14 AM
Looks like the "I don't need no stinking help" club is leading the pack ;)

Colors
22nd February 2013, 10:48 AM
Because i install fedora frequently on many computers with different video cards and network drivers, with or without Windows preinstalled, i maintain kickstart files and create iso's according to the computer's specification. This is a generic file:

flyingfsck
22nd February 2013, 11:20 AM
Well, I used both Autoten and Easylife (when Autoten wasn't available). The only hassle I had was with Skype, since I am living behind a bladdy country firewall. So I always need to download some things the hard way via a SSH tunnel or a Socks proxy in the US.

I am almost always tunneled through SSH, even when I'm just accessing this forum. Many online things work better when they think that I am in Arizona rather than Arabia.

debo2011
22nd February 2013, 11:23 PM
haha, is contradictory I will not vote for my creation 'PostInstallerF (http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/)', I prefer to do things by myself, but to facilitate multiple processes on many machines I use PostInstallerF. The new user is identified with these scripts. PostInstallerF is a very young project, but it will give good results. This will make life easier. :)

glennzo
23rd February 2013, 12:46 AM
Interesting that almost 50% of us, myself included, would rather struggle. I'd bet that if I was new to Fedora I'd at least be looking at the auto installers.

nonamedotc
23rd February 2013, 12:50 AM
Interesting that almost 50% of us, myself included, would rather struggle. I'd bet that if I was new to Fedora I'd at least be looking at the auto installers.

I doubt that based on the very fact that you want to use Fedora. ;) :)

I came to "I don't need help" club because of my early and hard initiation - I installed the stupid Student Version of Matlab. :dis: :bang:

flyingfsck
23rd February 2013, 04:56 AM
Student Matlab. I hope you now use Scilab.

hadrons123
23rd February 2013, 06:50 AM
Looks like the "I don't need no stinking help" club is leading the pack ;)
We don't use the help becoz the helper programs doesn't(can't) fit everyone.

Instead an upto date meaningful wiki would suffice, Like Arch Linux beginners guide.

PiElle
23rd February 2013, 08:08 AM
I usually prefer to install everything manually (it's not that hard).
This time, to install F18 XFCE, I opted to try those scripts.
I used Autoten to install, codecs, flash and libdvdcss.
Then I uninstalled it and run EasyLife to install true type fonts.
Seems like everything went ok. ...

nonamedotc
24th February 2013, 05:29 AM
Student Matlab. I hope you now use Scilab.

Thank you so much for telling me about scilab! This looks very nice and I will try this immediatetely. :)

My alternative has so far been octave.

FunkyRes
24th February 2013, 07:04 AM
rpm.livna.org ... :D

Seriously - for CentOS I use EPEL + my own packages.

For Fedora - I'll probably just stick with Fedora + my own packages

I'm not into the bleeding edge side of things except for php.
I prefer stable tried and true for 99% of my needs.

Oh - for CentOS I also use the repository that has the latest qGIS stuff in it - sometimes there are conflicts but not often.

For my own packages, I build in mock in CentOS.

F18 is the first Fedora I've run in a very long time, I left Fedora for CentOS because I was tired of the distro losing support / updates just when the bugs had been worked out and it started to feel stable. When I complained, I was told if I wanted stable, run CentOS. So I did.

I must say my experience with F18 thus far - I don't regret it.

Palooka
24th February 2013, 03:07 PM
None of the above. I do it myself via CL or my own scripts

..and If I have installed or configured something tricky or unfamiliar, I keep notes for next time.

kalwisti
25th February 2013, 04:39 AM
Like flyingfsck, I've used both Autoten and Easy Life. I first began with Autoten, and used it until Dangermouse ran into website problems; at that point I switched over to Easy Life. (I've never installed them simultaneously, so I don't know if that might create conflicts).

I'd like to thank both Dangermouse (Dave) and Duli for all the work they put into maintaining these scripts. They certainly make life easier for lazy users like me.

solo2101
25th February 2013, 05:36 AM
I use both... which ever is out first... usually is autoten.... you grow tired after doing the same thing over and over... at least i do... so thank you guys

yrrchsebor
26th February 2013, 06:03 PM
hi, i am having problems installing the mp3, dvd, and 'most codecs', with Autoten on Fedore 18. i have never had this problem with this program, have used it on f18 before, so i'm wondering if it is a temporary server error perhaps?

edit: sorry to post here, but i thought maybe it was apporpriate and better than making a new thread!

final update: the issue resoved itself, everything installed fine now.

P.S. i use Autoten, as it was the first such program i found and has always worked pefectly for me :) cheers

debo2011
27th February 2013, 08:35 PM
so far... and the winner is None. I'd rather struggle!

Second Autoten (aka autoplus, fedoraPlus etc.) This script is the oldest and first in Fedora, I am glad to take second place. This means that programs like easylife, PostInstallerF (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=285749), and Fedora Utils have possibility to reach the novice user; Or you want to forget for a moment the console. :p