PDA

View Full Version : VMWare workstation issue with latest kernel update (3.7.6-102.fc17)

blittle
20th February 2013, 05:38 PM
Seems that once again version.h is the culprit here (same as last kernel update) if you're unable to use vmware workstation/player because of modules needing to be compiled and the headers unable to be located you can run this command to resolve it:

sudo cp /usr/include/linux/version.h /lib/modules/3.7.6-102.fc17.x86_64/build/include/linux/

you could also investigate your /lib/modules to validate is version.h is present and if it is, then something else will resolve your issue, but this is a good place to start.

The above command is obviously for a 64-bit system, if you're a 32-bit system change x86_64 to i686 (or whichever is the suitable arch for your system).

HTH

bigflopper2
20th February 2013, 05:57 PM
thanks a lot for the info blittle,

I was in the process of opening a new thread with this topic, your post solved my problem. :)

smr54
20th February 2013, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I got tired of looking it up and have put up a little page with the info (as I know my own home page) .

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/rhvmware.html

Ihatewindows
20th February 2013, 08:46 PM
Now for VMware to catch up...

Thanks for the solution! :thumb:

blittle
26th February 2013, 04:27 PM
New kernel, same problem here's the fix

sudo cp /usr/include/linux/version.h /lib/modules/3.7.9-101.fc17.x86_64/build/include/linux/

Ihatewindows
26th February 2013, 09:47 PM
No such file or directory error. You sure about those? Yes, I did copy/paste my uname -r to replace the posted kernel version.

blittle
6th March 2013, 01:55 AM
Yeah sorry I may have typed the wrong bits into the window, you need to use whatever kernel version that you're on currently.

For example, my latest kernel is:

sudo cp /usr/include/linux/version.h /lib/modules/3.7.9-104.fc17.x86_64/build/include/linux/

TheNom
15th April 2013, 09:03 AM
Hi Guys,

Just thought i would add to this. I get this every time i get a new kernel so i just run this script every time it updates. It reads the currently running kernel so no need to work out and type the kernel version every time.

#!/bin/bash
sudo ln -s /usr/src/kernels/$(uname -r)/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/kernels/$(uname -r)/include/linux/version.h

Hope this helps.