PDA

View Full Version : Installing an older version of Firefox?

jonnycat
6th February 2013, 10:12 PM
Fedora 17

Hello,

I am trying to install an older version of Mozilla Firefox (17.0.2 ESR). I picked up the "firefox-17.0.2esr.tar.bz2" file from Mozilla, but it is a standalone version, and doesn't actually install the version to the system.

Using yum and Apper, I am only able to install the latest version of Firefox, 18.0.1.

How might I go about installing the older version of Firefox onto my system? Is there a repository that has it available that I can add?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: I'd be happy with the non-ESR 17.0.* version also, if that makes any difference.

WaltS48
7th February 2013, 05:16 PM
Why do you want to install an older version?

It does the same thing as the latest version, which is display web pages, and the latest version fixes 12 critical security vulnerabilities.

I install all my Firefox versions from the tarball, manage them with the stand alone profile manager, and set one as the default for the system.

I have the release version installed for trouble shooting assistance, the beta which was my default until recently, the 10.0.12 ESR version because I want to test the ESR update process, and the Nightly which I am using now to learn how the Firefox Health Report works.

bob
7th February 2013, 05:51 PM
Well, for whatever reason, if you check the mirrors, you'll find that FF 17.0 was included in the Fedora 18 packages. For instance, here's a mirror for the X86_64 packages: http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/18/Fedora/x86_64/os/Packages/f/

So, I suppose the first thing I'd do is to install Chrome or Opera or whatever else you choose so you still have a browser available, then download the FF 17 to /home or wherever you choose, then 'yum remove firefox', followed by a 'cd' to the downloaded version and 'yum install *.rpm'.

Keep in mind that unless you exclude firefox from future yum updates, it's going to want to install FF 18.

jonnycat
8th February 2013, 01:46 AM
Why do you want to install an older version?

Hi Walt. There is a "feature" starting with 18.0.1 that continually throws up a popup imploring me to activate my flash plugins. I deactivate flash plugins by default with the "plugins.click_to_play", and the continual popup is driving me up the wall.

I install all my Firefox versions from the tarball, manage them with the stand alone profile manager, and set one as the default for the system.

Yes, I downloaded the 17.0.2 ESR version from mozilla, and it runs fine, even using my profile. My concern is that it is a standalone version, and I am concerned that I might run into trouble by not actually installing it on the system (for instance, the installed version knows that Firefox is my default browser).

So in hindsight, I guess my actually question here is whether or not it is okay to just run the standalone version (which it seems to be if that is what you are doing), but more importantly, how do I "register" it as the default browser.

As for security, I think I would like to stick with the 17.0.* ESR versions, updating them as security updates become available.

Thanks for your response!

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Well, for whatever reason, if you check the mirrors, you'll find that FF 17.0 was included in the Fedora 18 packages. For instance, here's a mirror for the X86_64 packages: http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/18/Fedora/x86_64/os/Packages/f/

Thanks Bob, I did find that the other day, but when I went to install it (through Apper), it said there were dependency issues involved (I have an 18.0.* version of xulrunner). This occurred even after I uninstalled the 18.0.1 version.

I'm guessing that the problem here is that uninstalling Firefox didn't uninstall all of the other goodies, which might be the problem.

Thanks for your response!

WaltS48
8th February 2013, 03:28 PM
Hi Walt. There is a "feature" starting with 18.0.1 that continually throws up a popup imploring me to activate my flash plugins. I deactivate flash plugins by default with the "plugins.click_to_play", and the continual popup is driving me up the wall.

Update your Flash player, and unless you are using Flash version 11.2.202.262 it isn't up to date.

https://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb13-04.html

So in hindsight, I guess my actually question here is whether or not it is okay to just run the standalone version (which it seems to be if that is what you are doing), but more importantly, how do I "register" it as the default browser.

I'm using the KDE desktop, and used Desktop Configuration > Default Applications > Web Browser > in the following browser:, browse to the firefox folder and selected the firefox file to configure my Firefox Beta version as default.

As for security, I think I would like to stick with the 17.0.* ESR versions, updating them as security updates become available.

Your choice.

jonnycat
8th February 2013, 05:41 PM
I'm using the KDE desktop, and used Desktop Configuration > Default Applications > Web Browser > in the following browser:, browse to the firefox folder and selected the firefox file to configure my Firefox Beta version as default.

Thanks Walt, I guess it really is that easy then, much appreciated!

Edit: Well, I got the I got the 17.0.2 ESR running, placed a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin, linked to my working profile, and even got flash working by transferring libflashplayer.so from /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins to ~/mozilla/plugins, and I'm back in business with this ESR version.

The irony is that the "activate plugins" popup that is driving me nuts in 18.0.1 is an "included feature" in 17.0.2 ESR! I can't win, lol!

So for now I guess I'm stuck with this popup until/unless it is fixed in the next version. Rats.

On the up side, at least I figured out how to run a standalone version of Firefox on my system, which is kind of neat.