PDA

View Full Version : Important Changes at FedoraForum.org. Need YOUR help & patience!

bob
5th February 2013, 03:54 AM
Hi Members!

February 5, 2013 marks some important changes in FedoraForum.org's operation and we'll need your cooperation.

We're completely changing our existing menu to consolidate it and make it easier to use. Hopefully, we can accomplish shifting things in just a few hours. During that period, we'll be posting Announcements in the Forums that we'll be working with. Please don't post in those Forums until the Announcement is removed so that your post isn't lost in the shuffle.

We think you'll like the changes, so just bear with us a bit.

EDIT: YEEHAW!!!!! We moved it all around, messed up your day, but we're about done and it isn't even 10AM!!! So, if you look at the new categories, the abbreviated menu and how things are arranged, we think it's an improvement. If you feel otherwise or if you just want to be miserable about change in general, then pop on over to the Suggestions forum and let us have it with both barrels! (that is, if you can FIND the Suggestions Forum.... :D)

...and it's now about 3:30PM and nobody gave a hoot. *sigh* I even used different colors ya know! Harumff, maybe I'll just go dump a lot of threads, THEN you'll care; you'll ALL CARE!!!!:dis::lol:

Demz3
5th February 2013, 05:28 AM
are you changing the Templates menu's also or just the sub-forums ? can you be more clearer whats exactly changing?

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

social groups is useless, get rid of it :p

Dan
5th February 2013, 05:32 AM
social groups is useless, get rid of it <..:rolleyes:..> Uhm ... no.

are you changing the Templates menu's also or just the sub-forums ? can you be more clearer whats exactly changing?

I suspect you'll be able to skull out the details soon enough. But ... in the meantime ... this might provide a clue.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1630981&postcount=6

Demz3
5th February 2013, 05:35 AM
ty Dan. guess i'll have to wait till tomorrow to see the changes

Dan
5th February 2013, 05:37 AM
Speaking of that, You could help. Did you see an announcement window pop up when you logged in?

Demz3
5th February 2013, 05:51 AM
Speaking of that, You could help. Did you see an announcement window pop up when you logged in?

nope. let me log out an log back in, brb

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

still no pop-up. Adblock prolly stop those or the inbuilt popUP blocker. all i see is the Notices window

Dan
5th February 2013, 05:51 AM
EDIT: Check that. THey are displayed in-line now. It should have been above the the thread, just under the menu bar. There's a dismiss button which should clear it after you've read the contents.

Demz3
5th February 2013, 05:54 AM
. all i see is the Notices window
is this the oine your refering to?

Dan
5th February 2013, 05:59 AM
Yeah. That's it. It seems Admins are immune from seeing it. <..:rolleyes:..> I guess they figure the admins put it there, they probably know what it says. <..:p..>

Demz3
5th February 2013, 06:06 AM
yeah i read that. have fun doing it,

bob please dont break anything this time :rtfl:

bob
5th February 2013, 10:45 AM
Too late! MUHAHAHAHA....!

Demz3
5th February 2013, 10:49 AM
Too late! MUHAHAHAHA....!

you'll have to fix them. anyway im more interested in another story ( AFL) in Australia ATM than the Forum so Break away bob

bob
5th February 2013, 11:09 AM
Greg, we're in the USA where international news is hard to come by. CNN just isn't into it, I guess.

BTW, just gonna take a break from breaking until Dan's baby blues have opened and he can survey the damage I've already done.

Demz3
5th February 2013, 11:14 AM
Greg, we're in the USA where international news is hard to come by. CNN just isn't into it, I guess.

BTW, just gonna take a break from breaking until Dan's baby blues have opened and he can survey the damage I've already done.

well everything seems to be working so far. i didnt think international news would be top priority in America. i'll look at the Damage tomorrow though. im off to bed soonish

smr54
5th February 2013, 02:07 PM
News in America? Headlines are usually about life changing things for all Americans. For example, after the inaugeration, the two most widely read NY papers had a headline about... Did Beyonce lipsync when she sang?

So, yeah, I guess we here in the US deserve what we get.

bob
5th February 2013, 02:17 PM
OMG, did Beyonce libsync??? Gotta do some research....:D

Meanwhile, we're gettin' there on the forum switcheroo. Still glitches, I'm sure, but gettin' there.

nonamedotc
5th February 2013, 04:03 PM
Are you guys done already?! It seems to be working pretty well for me ... so far :D

Dan
5th February 2013, 04:06 PM
Credit where credit is due. Bob's been up since 0400 this morning hammering away at this -- like he had a honey-do job to do, and 'Lou was watching over his shoulder.

bob
5th February 2013, 04:13 PM
Heck, 'Lou was snoozing 'till after 9AM, bless her pampered soul. :D Since it was -5F at 4AM, I decided to check that the pipes weren't frozen, the cat was still breathing and the coffee pot was plugged in. Might as well have started typing while waiting for hot java to flow.

nonamedotc
5th February 2013, 04:22 PM
"The Dungeon (http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)" - Seriously?! :C

Dan
5th February 2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah. We've already got a Morgue (for spammers) so we needed another hole into which to stuff the other quasi-dead bodies.

nonamedotc
5th February 2013, 04:34 PM
So, shouldn't the title of Admins be modified to reflect the fact that they are in charge of the "dungeons" as well - you know as a part of this "overhaul" :p

Dan
5th February 2013, 04:41 PM
Hmmm. OK.

Like ... what? Suggestions?

bob
5th February 2013, 04:43 PM
DungeonMasters?

Well, "dungeon" seemed appropriate for those poor, nearly forgotten threads who can no longer participate in current discussions and are left to moulder, with the occasional member gawking at them.

Perhaps "Beefeaters"? (Tower of London Guards)... also kinda fitting if we like burgers and such.

nonamedotc
5th February 2013, 04:46 PM
DungeonMasters?

Well, "dungeon" seemed appropriate for those poor, nearly forgotten threads who can no longer participate in current discussions and are left to moulder, with the occasional member gawking at them.

That would perhaps be apprpriate. ;)

John the train
5th February 2013, 07:34 PM
DungeonMasters?

Perhaps "Beefeaters"? (Tower of London Guards)... also kinda fitting if we like burgers and such.

As long as that is beef, and not horsemeat - we've had some horsemeat burger stories over here!:dance:

bob
5th February 2013, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I read where Burger King has stopped saying "neigh" to the allegations... :D

nonamedotc
5th February 2013, 07:38 PM
As long as that is beef, and not horsemeat - we've had some horsemeat burger stories over here!:dance:

I wasn't aware that horsemeat was consumed! :confused:

Nevertheless, might not be appropriate here ;)

bob
5th February 2013, 07:44 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31/burger-king-horsemeat-admits-tainted_n_2593538.html

Demz3
5th February 2013, 09:32 PM
you guys left ot the x86_64bit sub-forum

bob
5th February 2013, 09:38 PM
Oh you noticed! Now, some 4 years ago, that might have been important, but since i686 and X86_64 are nearly identical in use, we lumped it. Hey, we lumped a TON more sub-forums, like laptops, packaging, much, much more.

Greg, it was just getting too big and hard to navigate. Much of our work was moving stuff around to be technically correct with placement when either "A" or "B" could have been just as good a location.

Thanks to Gareth for pointing out that consolidation was a better option.

Demz3
5th February 2013, 10:07 PM
fair enough. does look much better though . next thing that could use a cleanup is the Templates. dont need 2, just 1 Template above the forum is enough IMO, most other forums only use the 1, not 2

Dan
5th February 2013, 11:25 PM
Cripes, Greg! I'm beginning to think you'd gripe if we hung you with a brand spankin' new rope. <..:rolleyes:..>

Demz3
5th February 2013, 11:32 PM
Cripes, Greg! I'm beginning to think you'd gripe if we hung you with a brand spankin' new rope. <..:rolleyes:..>

well i look at it this way, why cleanup 80% of the forum an leave the rest as it is? surely that could be done to. i might be wrong here but i dont think i am, but the forum used to only have just the 1 Template anyway , all you'd have to do is something similar to what that Drop down Arrow is where it has Fedora Project v. you know what i mean?

BBQdave
5th February 2013, 11:37 PM
...the cat was still breathing and the coffee pot was plugged in.

Funny, our cat has decided to look out through our bedroom patio door and make odd - low - mooing noises. This cat has always made odd noises, but low mooing is a first. So that gives me the signal to get the coffee going and the day started.

And on a more related feedback note: I like the clean - consolidated new forum :)
Thanks for all that you guys do here in the forum, much appreciated.

nonamedotc
6th February 2013, 12:07 AM
Does x86_64 really need a sub-forum? I would imagine 32-bit would be the special case moving forward ...

Demz3
6th February 2013, 12:17 AM
more an more people are using 64bit nowadays

pete_1967
6th February 2013, 02:44 AM
As long as "New Posts" link stays where it has always been, couldn't care less if you dumped everything under one gigantic thread. Can't remember when I last clicked any other of the links or even looked anywhere else (apart of the links to read threads, obviously).

Dan
6th February 2013, 04:39 AM
As long as "New Posts" link stays where it has always been, couldn't care less if you dumped everything under one gigantic thread. Can't remember when I last clicked any other of the links or even looked anywhere else (apart of the links to read threads, obviously).That's pretty much the case with a lot of us old hands. When I activated a normal user account to have a look around this morning after the dust settled ... it was a bit weird! <..:p..>

pete_1967
6th February 2013, 01:07 PM
That's pretty much the case with a lot of us old hands. When I activated a normal user account to have a look around this morning after the dust settled ... it was a bit weird! <..:p..>

I remember actually landing on the homepage (fedoraforum.org not forums.fedoraforum.org) couple years back for some strange reason and it took me a while to figure out what the heck had happened to post listings. That was a scary moment :D

nonamedotc
6th February 2013, 02:30 PM
Even I (who is relatively new - compared to you guys) do not use the home page much. Only new posts. But, when I start a new thread, I guess one has to go through the home page to select the appropriate forum(?).

pete_1967
6th February 2013, 02:34 PM
But, when I start a new thread, I guess one has to go through the home page to select the appropriate forum(?).
Rarely, unless you need to post into forum that doesn't happen to have single new post in it and even if you are forced to click the "Forums" link, that'll take you to forums.fedoraforum.org, not to the homepage of the site.

Dan
6th February 2013, 03:46 PM
Even I (who is relatively new - compared to you guys) do not use the home page much. Only new posts. But, when I start a new thread, I guess one has to go through the home page to select the appropriate forum(?).Not really. Look at the bottom of this page. You'll find a drop-down forum jump/selector list. It's fast and simple, and only requires loading one new page.

nonamedotc
6th February 2013, 03:54 PM
I just realized they are actually two different pages. For some reason I had assumed there will be two links on top of every page leading to the same destinations. How clever of me! :fp:

Ah! Dan, I have never noticed that before! Thanks! That would indeed be much faster! :)

lsatenstein
10th February 2013, 04:11 PM
I go to Ars Technica (Europe) and Wired (Austrialia) for latest Non-USA news. I also read slashdot daily for the topics of interest to me.

And of course, I follow events here.

T3STY
11th February 2013, 01:48 AM
Hey, uhm... by the way you're getting the forum better, would you mind changing the theme? It looks like the old '90s... you know, we're 2013 now ;)

PabloTwo
11th February 2013, 01:58 AM
Be careful what you ask for. Dans trod down that road before.

T3STY
11th February 2013, 02:08 AM
Well, I still see the old theme so I guessed it was a good idea to "upgrade" it to a more fancy look. Anyway, just saying... :)

Demz3
11th February 2013, 02:15 AM
whats a " Fancy " look? looks fine the way it is IMO

Dan
11th February 2013, 02:18 AM
Ok. I'll see what I can do. <..http://www.zyloo-enterprises.com/graphics/smileys/old-fedora-make-my-day.gif..>

Demz3
11th February 2013, 02:21 AM
just install vbulletin4.2.0 an be done with it, it'll give it a Fancy look then :p

Dan
11th February 2013, 02:23 AM
Ok! Good deal! <..:thumb:..>

And I can expect your donation cheque for the full amount needed (including paying the staff to make the changes) ... when? <..:confused:..>

Demz3
11th February 2013, 03:10 AM
Ok! Good deal! <..:thumb:..>

And I can expect your donation cheque for the full amount needed (including paying the staff to make the changes) ... when? <..:confused:..>

i'll send it all to you Dan :dance:

T3STY
11th February 2013, 03:15 AM
Hey, there's no need to make such big changes like a platform upgrade. If you find any easy-installing theme that looks a bit better than the actual flat style, good. If not, there's no need to get headaches with upgrading and any issues it may bring with it.

p.s. I'm working on an example of what I mean for "fancy look", I'll be back :)

EDIT
I made some HTML+CSS design (no active links, scripts... all local content except fedoraforum logo which links to the image of this forum). If you'd like to have an idea of what I meant for fancy theme I'd like you to try this one :) (any browser should be fine - except IE.. but we're on Fedora Linux, right? :) ). Remember that: this is just a secondary objective; the theme in the attchment only reflects my personal taste; you may use it for designing an identical or similar design for the fedoraforum theme.
Thank you for your time guys :)