PDA

View Full Version : MiniDLNA - best free DLNA server I have tested!

kevmif
26th January 2013, 02:03 AM
Hi all,

Just thought I would share my experiences with DLNA servers and write up a bit of a guide to get one working.

A DLNA server allows you to stream media from a computer to any DLNA enabled device such as a PS3, PVR device, modern TV etc. For me it was a lot easier than moving my content via a USB device.

I have a Samsung BD-e8500 PVR. Fairly standard set of features and DLNA compliant. The Samsung propriety solution was a no go for me as it is Windows only. I wanted something already packaged for Fedora that I didn't have to pay for.

MediaTomb looked promising, but only after installing it I found out it was basically abandonware. It worked, but it would not allow me to pause / ff / rewind etc. This may have been fixable via config files - but not worth the effort as the code was so old.Ushare was just as bad.

Rygel is a Gnome project. It was severely lacking in documentation and was just plain crap. No easy way to find out what ports were required, very non intuitive.

The one that worked for me, with all features, good documentation and simple configuration was..... MiniDLNA.

MiniDLNA is made by Netgear. It is used in their NAS devices but the good people at Netgear have released it under the GNU license.

To install and configure MiniDLNA do the following:

- Make sure you have rpmfusion enabled http://rpmfusion.org (http://rpmfusion.org) - plenty of guides around if you are not sure how!

- once rpmfusion is set up, from a command line (as root) install the application
yum install minidlna

- once installed, as root edit /etc/minidlna.conf in your favorite editor.
-- Change the network interface to whatever interfaces you are using (ifconfig to get the interface names. Mine is em1)
-- Set the media_dir to where ever the files you want to stream are (eg /home/myself/my_movies). Be aware it will find all media including photos in this folder and subfolders.
-- Save the file

- Use firewall configuration to add ports 8200 (TCP and UDP though UDP might not be necessary) and 1900 (UDP) to the Persistent Configuration in the default network zone (usually public). The firewall tool can be accessed via the command line by typing in firewall-config. If you are using an older version of Fedora, use system-config-firewall but the options will be different from above.

- You can run the application as a service using systemd. I however prefer to start it manually in verbose / debug mode so I can see what is going on. Do it this way until you know it is working. Simply type minidlna -d

For some reason you need to do this as root user first as there is some permission issue that it can not seem to overcome. If you get an SQL error running as user, run it as root, close it (using ctrl+c) then try again. I can't seem to work around this. I know its bad practice to run an app as root, but what can you do!

You should now be able to see your media server on any DLNA compatible device on your network.

I hope this helps people looking for a good DLNA solution.

To check its status in systemd type
systemctl status minidlna use start / stop / enable / disable as desired in place of status.

darylking
29th January 2013, 11:47 PM
Wow, thank you!

Easy to set up, and works right away.

It doesn't like my .mkv files, listing them as "unsupported data", but aside from that it works wonderfully. :)

Dies
30th January 2013, 02:50 AM
Rygel is a Gnome project. It was severely lacking in documentation and was just plain crap. No easy way to find out what ports were required, very non intuitive.

Interesting how different users can have such different experiences.

Rygel is my personal favorite. For me, "just works", install it, run it, done. Didn't need to manually edit anything, just added folders using the Preferences dialog.

The manpages are somewhat helpful if you need/like to tweak.

man rygel
man rygel.conf

MrVideo
19th May 2013, 11:07 AM
To install and configure MiniDLNA do the following:

- Make sure you have rpmfusion enabled http://rpmfusion.org (http://rpmfusion.org) - plenty of guides around if you are not sure how!

The yum install didn't work, which wasn't totally unexpected, as I still at Fedora 14. So I went to the rpmfusion site and looked to see what they had and there was no minidlna to be found.

So I downloaded the sourceforge tarball and installed it.

I did start "minidlnad" as root, after configuration, and it started up and the Samsung Bklu-ray player had no problem seeing it and letting me play thee didn't shows I was catching up on.

There is a dlna server on the Qnap NAS box called twonky. I kep having problem where the player would stop playing the video and complain about being disconnected. So I wanted to bring up a Linux dlna server to see if it was the NAS box or the player. Well, connection was not lost for over a few hours, when I couldn't get thru a single show without it disconnecting from the NAS box. So now I have to submit an issue with Qnap.

In the meantime...

- You can run the application as a service using systemd. I however prefer to start it manually in verbose / debug mode so I can see what is going on. Do it this way until you know it is working. Simply type minidlna -d

To check its status in systemd type use start / stop / enable / disable as desired in place of status.

That is going to be a little tough, since the tarball is not an rpm, so there was nothing to install it as a service. Any clue as to how to get this installed as a service, or a rpm of this program that will install on Fedora 14?

Thanks

jbs1136
21st October 2013, 10:39 PM
First, thank you for a very helpful tut. I had minidlna install but this helped to tell me what to do with it afterwards. I now have it running thanks to you.

I would add one thing. The bit about the sql db I got bot in user and root terminals. I edited the .conf and changed the db_dir to my home folder. After this it ran in the user terminal and scanned all of my files as directed.

Thanks again for your help,

john

SimonFili
15th November 2015, 03:55 PM
Thanks for this howto...

Installed everything on Fedora 23 without issue. The issue I now have us that on my Samsung smart TV, I don't see any content.

Some things I checked:
1) I see the soap/xml chatting in debug mode between TV and Server
2) In the DB I see my files:

[root@localhost minidlna]# strings files.db | grep home
/home/media/video/blindspot.105.mp4
/home/media/videovideo
/home/media/Agenda21.mp4
/home/media
#media_dir/home/media
/home/media/video/blindspot.105.mp4
/home/media/video
/home/media/Agenda21.mp4
/home/media

3) Firewall is OFF... and I can browse ok on the TV (no file)
4) Here's my config... without the comments:

port=8201
network_interface=enp4s0
user=root
media_dir=/home/media
friendly_name=FedoraMedia
db_dir=/var/cache/minidlna
log_dir=/var/log/minidlna
log_level=general,artwork,database,inotify,scanner ,metadata,http,ssdp,tivo=info
album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg
inotify=yes
enable_tivo=no
strict_dlna=yes
notify_interval=900
serial=12345678
model_number=1

5) My Samsung TV works fine in DLNA with my Windows 10 media player
6) In the past the TV worked fine with mediatomb (a few years back)
7) I am using root and chmod 777 on /home/media
8) UPDATE: MP3 are showing on TV and playing... no video showing
9) Started another thread here: https://sourceforge.net/p/minidlna/discussion/879957/thread/ec96d46d/ since this one seems dead.

Any hints/help would be appreciated.