PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Two F18 questions.

alexeik
24th January 2013, 08:53 AM
If my questions look stupid - sorry.

I have a newly installed F18, Gnome edition.

1. I can not "log out" from session. I see no button for this.
2. When I do "shutdown" the system says, that there is a running user in the system, and I should provide a password to do shutdown.

Sorry again for these stupid questions

Rusher
24th January 2013, 09:05 AM
For question 1:

The log-out option will be added to the menu if a second user is added to the system. If you want the option to present at any time, follow the instructions in this post (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1626192&postcount=3)

As to the second question, I don't know, it never happens to me, I can halt my laptop just fine.

MALsPa
24th January 2013, 09:17 AM
To get the log out option back, install dconf-editor, then go dconf-editor > org > gnome > shell and check the option "always-show-log-out." I think you have to restart the shell or reboot for that to take effect. See: http://www.ryanlerch.org/blog/

sea
24th January 2013, 09:18 AM
For question 2:
This usualy happens when you start an application or a command as root.

If that process is active at the time you want to shutdown, it prevents user root from beeing cut off, and therefore requires root login, to verify root confirms shutdown.

More or less that way ;)

alexeik
24th January 2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks for answers.

I believe that all of them are correct, but now I have an issue with do not know what.

I added a new user. Rebooted, but system still did not show no "log out" menu.
OK, I got to 'system setting', -> User accounts and found that a newly added user is disabled, due to password. So OK. I tried to change the password, but the system said, that password was weak, and did not allow me to save it (?). OK. I asked it to ask for a new password during the nexn login. OK. I rebooted the system, and now system does not shows me login screen. It hangs just before login screen. Mouse pointer still alive.

I did a snap shot of the display, but do not know how to add it to message. But two last lines are:

Starting Gnome Display Manager
Starting Kernel Samepage Merging (KSM) Tuning Daemon

System hangs for at least 15 minutes.

Since this is a test machine, I plan to reinstall F18 from scratch, but maybe you have another ideas?

alexeik
27th January 2013, 02:32 PM
Started to use F18 as a primary OS. I still have a few issues, but hopefully I will overcome them.
One (I hope last) question though.

When I used F16, and F17 there was an application - ' software update'. OK.

But now I understand, that there is no such application by design. I still can update software useing command (in admin)
yum update

But my question is: what is a proposed way to update software? Just wait and it will be done automatically or what?

Sorry, if my questions sound silly.

Thank you!

joncr
27th January 2013, 02:58 PM
The update option is in the Software app, up in its global menu entry.

alexeik
27th January 2013, 03:47 PM
Oh!

It's called "to confuse russians!" :doh:

Thanks!

lsatenstein
27th January 2013, 04:54 PM
Started to use F18 as a primary OS. I still have a few issues, but hopefully I will overcome them.
One (I hope last) question though.

When I used F16, and F17 there was an application - ' software update'. OK.

But now I understand, that there is no such application by design. I still can update software useing command (in admin)
yum update

But my question is: what is a proposed way to update software? Just wait and it will be done automatically or what?

Sorry, if my questions sound silly.

Thank you!

The software update is now a menu item within add/remove software. Yes, it was a stupid idea to put it there.

alexeik
27th January 2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks to everybody. Issues are ironed out now. Sort of.