PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 18: Keep your /home partition

hmaarrfk
24th January 2013, 07:14 AM
I've seen this question multiple times so I guess it warrants a guide.

Anaconda is still not finalized so there are many features that are missing. Hopefully they will get fixed soon (as in F19), but in the meanwhile, you might find this useful.

One crucial feature that I found did not work, was keeping your /home partition when you do a fresh install of F18.

This is how you do it:

1. Keep a copy of your /etc/fstab
2. Use anaconda to overwrite your "/" partition and do an install as if you were doing it without your "/home" partition.
3. Go through firstboot and add your user that has the UID of 1000 of your previous user.
4. As sudo, find the line in your saved of fstab relating to your /home and copy it into F18's /etc/fstab

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
5. Go into tty2 (or any other tty)
6. Log in as root.
7. Kill all the processes of the user your just created.
Note you could "logout" but that is surprisingly harder than it sounds in Gnome 3.6 with only 1 user.
8. Then remove everything in /home

rm -rf /home/*

Now reboot.

I hope that helps anyone who needs it.

slayerking
24th January 2013, 11:18 AM
One crucial feature that I found did not work, was keeping your /home partition when you do a fresh install of F18.

? I am using the same /home partition I have been using for the last 3 or 4 versions of fedora. I have gone between F17 and F18 since release about 4 times now using the same /home part. each time a fresh install but the first, it was upgrade.