PDA

View Full Version : F18 TC4: Which repos to keep?

taytong888
14th January 2013, 05:55 AM
Hello,

Today I installed F18 TC4 on the existing F16 partition. I was struggling not so much because of partitioning but due to my box is using Nvidia card. First try was aborted because the screen showed lots of text but did nothing else after a while. I was not able to use CTRL ALT F1 to get at the command prompt. Second try was better:

1. TAB to show boot parameters
2. Added the following items after "rhgb quiet":

nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau vga=0x318

During installation, screen showed "No disk selected". I ignored the error message and hit it anyway. Miraculously the hard disk icons appeared and I was then able to select the disk to install F18. Custom partitioning was OK but could be better because I did not see option to place Grub(2) boot loader on the root of desired partition.

After installation was completed and reboot, the Grub menu of F18 appeared but the available options at the bottom are very tiny. I wish the developers had used a minimum font size of 10, NOT 8 or 9! After a few more reboots, I clued on to select "e" in order to add the same 3 items in No.2 above to the grub config(?) menu. Only after this was I able to see the login screen!

Initially I was not able to find and install Nvidia proprietary driver because only 2 repos were available: fedora and updates. Based on an older thread in F18 Development, I installed rpmfusion-free-updates-testing and nonfree-updates-testing. Still no "akmod-nvidia". Only after installing firefox and both rpmfusion-free & nonfree, I was then able to install "akmod-nvidia".

Now my repos list includes the following, so which ones should I keep?

1. Fedora
2. Updates
3. rpmfusion-free
4.rpmfusion-nonfree
5. rpmfusion-free-updates
6. rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
7. rpmfusion-free-updates-testing
8. rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing

Sorry for a long thread but I have to ask this last question because F18 has not been officially released.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Demz3
14th January 2013, 06:26 AM
goodluck with this, should have an answer here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1567404&postcount=1

gadgetwiz
14th January 2013, 06:27 AM
7. rpmfusion-free-updates-testing
8. rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing

These repos are for testing and would not normally be enabled on a stable production workstation.

Demz3
14th January 2013, 06:35 AM
when F18 goes final, both Fedora Repo's an RPMFusion repo's will automatically switch over to the official repo's so you dont need to do anything.

taytong888
14th January 2013, 07:27 AM
Hello Demz3 and gadgetwiz,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Can you confirm when F18 final is released?

2. On another note, I booted into kernel 3.7.1-5 but the screen shows white bands, one of which shows some error message about not waiting for plymouth to load. If I choose 3.6.11-3, I again had to edit grub config menu to include same 3 items:

nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau vga=0x318

Is there any way to make these permanent in 3.6.11-3? I thought I had successfully installed akmod-nvidia via yumex. By the way, yumex is no longer visible and accessible as an icon. I have to run it as a regular user via command line.

3. Once I hit F10 to boot 3.6.11-3, the Fedora "teardrop" appears but it takes several minutes before the login screen shows up. Any way to speed up this?

Demz3
14th January 2013, 08:37 AM
answer to 1 you shall find in here http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-January/thread.html

answer to 3 you could Disable some systemd services

taytong888
14th January 2013, 08:53 PM
Hi,

I just booted into kernel 3.6.11-3 then updated immediately to kernel 3.7.2-201. Also updated automatically was kmod-nvidia to 3.6.11-3.

After reboot and booting into 3.7.2-201, my system is up-to-date and the screen appears normal.

Can't wait until tomorrow to see the official release of FC18!

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Hi,

After today's updating to kernel 3.7.2-201, both of these two updates-testing repos have been automatically un-selected.