PDA

View Full Version : Installed MATE; Got a Big Batch of Caja Windows & Abrt Messages

joncr
14th January 2013, 01:27 AM
Out of curiosity, I installed MATE (yum groupinstall MATE-Desktop) on a stock updated F18 Gnome desktop.

When I logged into it the first time, the screen was covered by a dozen or more overlapping Caja windows. Several abrt boxes in quick succession appeared in the top right corner.

Typical?

Deleted it soon thereafter, because I never intended to use it. If I did want to use Gnome 2, I have a rather nicely tweaked CentOS desktop archived.

gadgetwiz
14th January 2013, 01:41 AM
All I can say is that F18 MATE is working great for me. Your experience may differ. The only issue I had was the Caja C&P bug from TC4, which has now been corrected.

I never mess with ABRT, no matter which DE I choose. The first thing I do is remove or disable that noise.

joncr
14th January 2013, 02:15 AM
All I can say is that F18 MATE is working great for me. Your experience may differ. The only issue I had was the Caja C&P bug from TC4, which has now been corrected.

I never mess with ABRT, no matter which DE I choose. The first thing I do is remove or disable that noise.

I tried the current Mint Mate release, as well as 13. I didn't have those problems, but it was slower than the CentOS desktop.

There also seemed to be a number of duplicate libraries and executables. A look at Startup Apps, for instance, showed several. I guess that's because the porting is in mid-stream.

Running Mate to get a Gnome 2 desktop is certainly easier than what I did to tweak CentOS. Considerebly less fragile, too, no doubt.

gadgetwiz
14th January 2013, 02:53 AM
So far, I can't detect any performance issues under MATE. Everything seems pretty zippy. I'm running F18 MATE on my media system using MythTV and I have no problems playing back 1080p HD content, while simultaneously recording 1080p HD content. This is with a single core HT P4, running @3.8, with only 1gig of ram, so I'm getting the most I can out of this hardware. I'd say my performance is as good or better than is was using F17 + Gnome3.

I really need the newer software available in the latest Linux distros so using an older distro with Gnome2 isn't really a good option for me.

I'm sure there are gonna be a few bugs here and there. I did have a SELinux issue but I can't blame that on MATE. I have Gnome3, Cinnamon, KDE and MATE all installed on this system so there are a few duplicate/redundant apps floating around in here. :)

I haven't gotten around to system optimization yet, but that is next on my list.

joncr
14th January 2013, 03:36 PM
I really need the newer software available in the latest Linux distros so using an older distro with Gnome2 isn't really a good option for me.

That's the thing about a CentOS desktop. If you stay with the official repos and are very careful about the third-party repos you use to acquire codecs and other niceties, you can build a very stable, very nice Gnome 2 desktop setup. Current browsers, etc., are available.

But... you can't count on all of those third-party repos to provide updates.

More importantly, there's some aging software baked into CentOS. E.g., it is more or less hardwired to use python 2.6. If you want something that needs 2.7, you're kinda stuck.

I'm liking Gnome on F18, which surprises me since Gnome 3 in the past annoyed me greatly. I'm not a KDE or XFCE person, so if I do become dissatisfied with this setup, I'll likely move to Mate. F18 seems to be using a development version, so I'm curious to see what 1.6 brings.