PDA

View Full Version : copying files ??

djm7541
8th January 2013, 07:07 PM
I have been amazed by a little problem that I have been having copying files.

I never had any trouble with this when I was using Ubuntu or Windows, and I cannot believe that it isn't something that I am doing wrong.

For example, if I hook up my digital camera to my PC, Fedora asks me, "do you want to use Shotwell to import these photos ?"

And, rather annoyed, I think to myself, "No, I do not want to use Shotwell to import those photos".

Instead I want to do what I always do. I create a new directory in my "Pictures" folder, then I go over to the camera and do a "Select All", to select all the .jpg files, then I use the menu choice "copy".

Then, what I am used to doing, is to head over to the created folder in "Pictures", and use "Paste" to drop them into the folder.

But, amazingly, this doesn't work for me, with Fedora. "Paste" isn't even an allowable choice.

Same thing with copying the contents of a USB key.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

I've found ways around this, to copy them to my "home" directory, but I can't even copy them to a folder in the "home" directory. To the "home" directory is the only choice, and then I have to move them, one by one, into the folder.

mikee
8th January 2013, 09:40 PM
I have XFCE desktop, and if you go into file applications menu --> settings --> file manager

then go to the "advanced" tab and click "configure" down by volume management.

It will bring up a popup and click the camera tab.
Mine says shotwell, but you can change it to whatever you want.
Look at your ubuntu to see what it uses and change it to that.

JONOR
8th January 2013, 11:01 PM
Shotwell is a Fedora-preferred gnome based app that is not to my taste so gets removed straight after installation.
If you are using gnome rather than XFCE and don't like Shotwell's behaviour then remove it, it is certainly not indispensable.
You should also be aware of possible bugs in the way options are presented when right clicking on a file/folder.
An option that is in grey type is intended as available in certain situations but not right now whereas black type is available right now.
However do try grey options because sometimes they are available right now.

If your camera takes cards such as sd or micro sd you will most likely find the file transfer
much faster by putting the card into a card reader on a usb than using cable that plugs into the camera.