PDA

View Full Version : Is Fedora 18 TC3 going to be the F18 Final

lsatenstein
29th December 2012, 04:32 PM
Subject line says it all.

If so, how do I correct my virtual console terminal to point to the correct keyboard layout?

I am harping on this topic, but the only keyboard I have on the system is the Ca(fr).

Does anyone have a easy fix? Which file to change in /etc

bob
29th December 2012, 04:35 PM
Moved to F18 Development

bigflopper2
29th December 2012, 06:01 PM
please post the output of the file

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-anaconda-keyboard.conf

lsatenstein
29th December 2012, 09:52 PM
please post the output of the file

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-anaconda-keyboard.conf

Thank You

I was hoping for a permanent solution before go live for Bug 866887 and Bug 889562

Worst offender is Bug 890343

bigflopper2
29th December 2012, 10:14 PM
I see, a lot of problems going around...

Is there any chance that TC3 is going to become the final?

Demz3
29th December 2012, 11:15 PM

no, there's still to many blocker bugs left, so another TC then RC's will be done

nonamedotc
30th December 2012, 12:28 AM

Till the blocker bugs in this page (http://qa.fedoraproject.org/blockerbugs/milestone/18/final/buglist) are resolved, there won't be a final. So, a few more TCs and/or RCs will in all likelihood manifest ...

nirik
30th December 2012, 01:56 AM
TC = Test Compose. TC's can NEVER become a final release.

TC's are made until all _known_ blockers are fixed, then (and only then), RCs are started.

RC = Release Candidate.

RC's are made until no more blockers are found, then the last RC becomes the release (there are 0 changes between the last RC and the final release, it's litterally just moved into place to be the release).

lsatenstein
3rd January 2013, 12:04 AM
TC = Test Compose. TC's can NEVER become a final release.

TC's are made until all _known_ blockers are fixed, then (and only then), RCs are started.

RC = Release Candidate.

RC's are made until no more blockers are found, then the last RC becomes the release (there are 0 changes between the last RC and the final release, it's litterally just moved into place to be the release).

Are there any RC's yet?

nirik
3rd January 2013, 12:05 AM
No.

Subscribe to the test-announce list for when they arrive:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/test-announce

Demz3
3rd January 2013, 12:10 AM
i do believe a TC4 will be out shortly?

nirik
3rd January 2013, 12:18 AM
Yep. One has been requested.

lsatenstein
3rd January 2013, 03:57 AM
Yep. One has been requested.

There are a few show stoppers all related to keyboards when multiple languages are selected.
For example, I cannot set Canada(French)French. for Vconsole. Other languages mentioned as problematic is Chinese, Indian, and others.

chrismurphy
4th January 2013, 01:13 AM
I think the biggest problem we may see is with encrypted disks. It's one thing to get unexpected behavior in a console, but it's another thing to be totally unable to decrypt a disk/volume, especially a boot volume.

bob
4th January 2013, 12:00 PM
Here's the announcement about TC4:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test-announce/2013-January/000598.html

Demz3
5th January 2013, 01:09 AM
from my understanding a RC1 should be done today

Demz3
6th January 2013, 05:50 AM
check this post out http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1623897&postcount=93

nirik
6th January 2013, 05:53 AM
it's usually a bad idea to start downloading things before they are announced. ;) You could get an incomple set of files if they are still being synced in place.

Be patient and there should be an announcement when all is there.

Demz3
6th January 2013, 05:54 AM
it's usually a bad idea to start downloading things before they are announced. ;) You could get an incomple set of files if they are still being synced in place.

Be patient and there should be an announcement when all is there.

yeah i know. i'll download it when its not so hot or when i get back from the pub :p

lsatenstein
7th January 2013, 12:16 AM
TC4 is much improved over TC3 For one thing, after reboot and yum update, we had no updates. All the 298 updates since TC3 were included in TC4.

What is left as a major problem for me is the keyboard for virtual console not being replaced by the keyboard chosen for the installation. (I have one computer with Canadian French, and a second with Latam (Spanish for Latin America). VTerminal (tty1... etc) does not respect Gnome Settings. Somethings are broken between F17 and F18

It looks like RC candidate may just be TC5, or vice versa, TC5 may be RC candidate.

Demz3
7th January 2013, 12:41 AM
its a Release Candidate NOT a Test Candidate . i was to lazy an put the RC1 in the same thread as the Test Composes.

DBelton
7th January 2013, 05:23 AM
TC4 is much improved over TC3 For one thing, after reboot and yum update, we had no updates. All the 298 updates since TC3 were included in TC4.

What is left as a major problem for me is the keyboard for virtual console not being replaced by the keyboard chosen for the installation. (I have one computer with Canadian French, and a second with Latam (Spanish for Latin America). VTerminal (tty1... etc) does not respect Gnome Settings. Somethings are broken between F17 and F18

It looks like RC candidate may just be TC5, or vice versa, TC5 may be RC candidate.

You didn't see the updates because they are in the updates-testing repo, and updates-testing has been turned off as a default :)

If you enable updates-testing, then you will see all of those updates again.

endived
7th January 2013, 08:20 AM
You didn't see the updates because they are in the updates-testing repo, and updates-testing has been turned off as a default :)

If you enable updates-testing, then you will see all of those updates again.

I'm new to Fedora, so I'm sorry that I'm still quite ignorant about repo stuff.
Updates-testing is also turned off on my box, but I do enable it in case an update doesn't work (with --enablerepo=updates testing).

Is this a good way to deal with things, or would you argue it's best to keep that repo on by default, at least until final release?

DBelton
7th January 2013, 08:37 AM
Well, I can't really tell you what is right for you and your machine, but I have re-enabled updates-testing on all of my F18 machines here.

I re-enabled updates-testing and both of the rpmfusion updates-testing repos.

Usually, updates-testing is enabled until right before the final release, then it's turned off in an update. The F18 release has been delayed, but the updates-testing repo has been turned off. If you leave it off, you won't get many updates until after the final release.

endived
7th January 2013, 09:11 AM
Well, I can't really tell you what is right for you and your machine, but I have re-enabled updates-testing on all of my F18 machines here.

I re-enabled updates-testing and both of the rpmfusion updates-testing repos.

Usually, updates-testing is enabled until right before the final release, then it's turned off in an update. The F18 release has been delayed, but the updates-testing repo has been turned off. If you leave it off, you won't get many updates until after the final release.

Thanks, that is making a lot of sense.

What is right for me and my machine is that I want to start using Fedora as my main distro. So, I want to learn as much as I can about the project, release cycle, repository management and such. So in a way, I couldn't have picked a better time.

Of course, if I can bridge this period without completely wrecking my box, that would be a awesome, but I've already come to terms with the idea that I'm probably already doing a lot of things very wrong and I'll probably have to re-install at some stage anyway.

DBelton
7th January 2013, 04:07 PM
Occasionally, there will be an update to hit updates-testing that doesn't work correctly, but I really haven't gotten many at all that makes my machine unusable. Most of the time, I can either wait for the bad update to get fixed, or downgrade it to the previous version. Usually the worst are broken dependencies, which keep the package from getting updated unless you force it to (which is something you usually never want to do).

On all but my main machine, I usually run with updates-testing enabled all of the time, even after the final release.

I have re-installed Fedora 18 more than I have re-installed any previous pre-releases. There have been several changes to hit in F18, like the changes to some of the configuration files in /etc (/etc/hostname, /etc/locatime, etc...) and a few other things along with trying out the new anaconda (and gong on a tirade about things they messed up in it :lol: ) So, I tend to agree. Fedora 18 would be a good opportunity for a learning experience, it's a learning experience even for veteran Fedora users, and yes, even a lot of the veteran users are getting things wrong in the Fedora 18 installs they have been doing. So don't feel too bad if you have to re-install due to a glitch or mistake.

Now that being said, I certainly don't intend to scare anyone out of using Fedora as their main distro. Fedora is a very stable distro once you learn about it and get things set up. If you wish to learn some of the "bleeding edge" technologies, then Fedora is a distro for you. It's bleeding edge enough to pull in some of the latest and greatest, but sill retains stability and usability. Yes, there are a few, although rare, updates that break things, but that can, and does, happen with any distro.

Sooooo... Welcome to Fedora! While this forum isn't an "official" Fedora site, it is one of the best resources I have found to get help with Fedora. Most of the people here are very willing to help, and there are some very knowledgeable folks hanging around here.

AdamW
8th January 2013, 03:17 AM
if you want the most stability you can get in Fedora, you want to disable updates-testing. If you want to get updates faster and you're capable of recovering when an update is occasionally bad, feel free to enable it. If you enable it, we'd very much appreciate if you provide feedback on the updates:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing

Thanks.

The definition of 'TC' and 'RC' and the differences between them can, mostly, be found here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_compose_request

lsatenstein
8th January 2013, 04:45 AM
There is already a TC7 Jan 6th beta. I am dl'ing to test

nonamedotc
8th January 2013, 05:07 AM

There has already been a RC1. I do not think there will be a TC7 now ... The latest image I am seeing is RC1 dated Jan 6th 2013.

Demz3
8th January 2013, 05:12 AM

if there's a " TC7 " could you provide a URL to it? :doh:

lsatenstein
8th January 2013, 05:52 AM
if there's a " TC7 " could you provide a URL to it? :doh:

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/18-RC1/

Demz3
8th January 2013, 05:53 AM
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/18-RC1/

thats a RC NOT a TC i still dont see a TC7

AdamW
8th January 2013, 08:39 AM
There was a Beta TC7. That was a TC for the Beta. There is absolutely no point in downloading it now.

C'mon, guys, it can't be that hard to keep it straight. Any Final build beats any Beta build. Any Beta build beats any Alpha build. Within those groups, any RC build beats any TC build. Then numeric order. See? Two lines!

To be crystal clear, the current candidate build is F18 RC2: https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/18-RC2/ .

Wayne
10th January 2013, 09:17 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already:

Fedora 18 status is Go, release planned for January 15, 2013

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2013-January/001021.html

Demz3
10th January 2013, 09:20 AM
yeah i posted it earlier http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1624556&postcount=134

Wayne
10th January 2013, 09:22 AM
Fed up with this rubbish Win7 so don't read here much these days....

Demz3
10th January 2013, 09:23 AM
Fed up with this rubbish Win7 so don't read here much these days....

could be worse, could be Win8 :p

AdamW
10th January 2013, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't wish Win8 on dbelton ;)

nonamedotc
10th January 2013, 02:43 PM

That is downright hilarious :rtfl: :D

DBelton
11th January 2013, 03:59 AM

Sorry, but the direction Fedora with Gnome is headed, Win8 might be a much better OS to use. Most of that fault lies with Gnome, and not Fedora, though.

BBQdave
11th January 2013, 05:13 AM
Sorry, but the direction Fedora with Gnome is headed, Win8 might be a much better OS to use. Most of that fault lies with Gnome, and not Fedora, though.

I'll take Fedora with Gnome any day, over Win-doze :D

I've seen first hand the joy and fun M$ has brought to family and friends...

Yeeaaah, I'll pass on Win-doze :C

AdamW
11th January 2013, 06:25 AM
to go back to the initial question - RC4 is the build that will go out as final.

Demz3
11th January 2013, 06:34 AM
sorry i forgot to post this earlier but since Adam has said it anyway there's no point

kinda anyway so
Hi,
at today's supplementary Go/No-Go meeting it was decided to
ship RC4 (release candidate) as the final release [1].

#agreed to ship RC4 as final release (with no votes against)

The release date is Tuesday, January 15, 2013!

Big thanks goes to everyone who helped with this RC3/RC4
testing effort and again to everyone who participated on
the whole release. Time for Fedora 18 release parties!

Jaroslav

[1] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-2/2013-01-10/f18-go-no-go-supl-meeting.2013-01-10-16.00.html http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-January/176139.html